Oosterdam aft veranda deck furniture

hammerinfrank

How are VA category verandas furnished, specifically cabin 5184? I know that these verandas are not anywhere near the size of the verandas in the SB and SC cabins on the stern of the ship and therefore would not expect for them to be furnished the same. Is the table on the veranda large enough for two to dine on? Are there chairs only, or are there also lounge chairs or a combination of both?

As for in room dining, is there a table inside the cabin large enough to comfortably accomodate two for a meal?

Frank

Frank:

As to furniture on the balcony: there's a regular chair, with a nice-sized ottoman, and a lounge chair. There's also a small round table, only large enough for drinks, ashtray, etc. The ottoman/foot stool can hold a tray of food easily, but is a little low for "dining". That didn't stop me from having my coffee tray there in the mornings, however! :D

I haven't "dined" in the room, but the tray would fit on top of the coffee table, and would be sufficient to dine on. The tray would give a little more room, as the table top is oval. Regent has a table top that mounts onto their oval coffee tables which provides a little more "table top", but I don't think HAL does.

Hope this helps....

Paul

Edit: There may be a 2nd regular chair on the balcony, as well...I don't specifically remember, though.....

I think that Candy posted some pictures of their aft VA on the Zuiderdam which should be the same. I also read that the coffee table is actually adjustable and can adjust up to normaltable height. That was on a thread not long ago. Anyway, I am in 5182 on the Oosterdam on 10/7 so I'll make sure to post lots of pictures.

5180 had 2 regular chairs, a small oval table (not large enough for dining), a cushioned lounger and a cushioned chair with ottoman. We used the ottoman for trays a few times and used the small table primarily for drinks. In a pinch, you could put one tray on the small table and one on the ottoman, but your dining experience might be like playing Twister. We had our daily shrimp cocktails out there, along with the occasional cheese and crackers and that worked out well.

The in-cabin table will hold one tray, but if you have flowers or anything else on that table, you'll have to balance it carefully. It's not uncomfortable, but you have to figure out what works for you. Don't forget about the little stool under the vanity because you may find that one person on the sofa and one on the stool is more comfortable than eating side-by-side or using the chair.

We loved the aft veranda and hope to enjoy one again sometime! Our time out there was wonderful, regardless of wind, rain, or whatever - which was only intermittent. We found that other folks did not use their outdoor space as much as we did, so it was like being alone at the back of the ship.

Archived