Dining with RCCL

My husband and I are looking to book our first RCCL cruise for our 1st anniversary. All we know is Carnival... and we want to try something new. We will most likely be booking the AOS out of San Juan. I have read too many awful things about the Carnival Destiny out of San Juan and my husband is just dying to try RCCL. Can someone tell me how the dining is set up in the main dining rooms. Are there set times for each meal and is there a main seating as well as a late seating. Since it will be just the two of us, are there many 2 top tables or will we probably be eating with other guests? Thanks!

There are set times for dinner in the main dining room, both a main seating (usually around 6pm) and a second seating (usually around 8:30). There are a few tables for 2 but not many. If you want one, make sure to request a small table when you book and then when you get onboard go see the maitre'd to see if he can arrange one for you. You may have better luck getting a table for 2 if you are flexible in your dining time. There is still no guarantee that you will get one as there are so few, but if you want one that is the way to go about getting one.

At breakfast and lunch in the dining room, there is open seating. They just sit you at an available table when you arrive.

If you want a special romantic dinner while on the ship, I recommend eating at Portofino's which is the specialty restaurant on the ship. The surcharge is $20 per person and it serves italian food.

We had a table for 2 on AOS last winter and didn't even ask for one. I think your best bet would be early seating as that is when most of the families with kids like to eat and they are >2 people. We had put ourselves down for a table for 4-6. When you get onboard check out where your table is, it will be on your seapass card. Then as the matrie 'd politely if there is some way to change your table to that of one for two.

You can also call the res desk and ask them to put that request in for you as it is your anniversary but they can't guarrentee it.

Archived