Fort Lauderdale airport shuttle buses

tlm

Has anyone with a scooter or a wheelchair ever taken a shuttle from the car rental facility at Fort Lauderdale Airport?

We took one last year before I had my scooter and I can't remember if was easily accessible.

We had a problem this year at Las Vegas airport when the car rental shuttle wasn't accessible. They told us to wait for one but it turned out their only accessible bus was broken down. We had to take my scooter apart to put it on board the regular bus...not nice.

Thanks

Toni

I can't really help you withthe specifics of the Fort Lauderdale car rental shuttle; however It's not unusual for shuttle lifts to break down. If in the future, they ask for you to take apart your scooter, it's a good idea to request that the car be delivered to you instead. THat's a reasonable accommodation because they *are* suppose to have accessible shuttle buses.

Candy

I can help with this as we just returned from Fort Lauderdale two weeks ago.

They have buses that go to all the car rental agencies at the airport, and they are accessible. They have a ramp on both sides, not a lift, but a ramp with a pretty gentle angle. We got a luggage cart for our luggage, and I was on my scooter and we went out to the shuttle stop. We did have to ask where this was as it was not well marked. We took the bus to Alamo, where we had rented a mini van. The mini van was not accessible, but DH was able to lift the front end of scooter and slide the back up into the van. We also had the option of taking it apart. When we returned the car, we just got a luggage cart at the rental garage, went out to the shuttle stop, and the bus took us to our airline. It was very easy. The buses were not MARKED as shuttles and we passed them by the first time.........they have that brightly colored mesh stuff on them, with, I think, advertising, but it may just have been designs.

Have a great time!

By the way, in Las Vegas, and other places without accessible shuttles, like Atlanta, DH just goes and gets the car, leaving me outside with the luggage, and he comes and picks me up........................that's all fine just as long as I hit the restroom before he leaves!!! :)

Archived