I want to be a cruise Travel Agent

strype2

I became a TA last year since I was booking weekly travel for my then-boss. I figured someone was making money off his travel every week and it should be me. I ended up leaving that job in January and have really enjoyed being a TA since then.

I looked at host agencies and checked into some local agencies that were hiring. I decided to go with one on the MLM based agencies. I know that some of you are rolling your eyes. I did extensive research on three different companies and I am thrilled with the company that I selected. I've got my own site for online bookings and I do bookings myself. I have specialized in the honeymoon market and corporate travel. My home office set up works well for me and with a laptop and cell phone I enjoy my portable business. I get a lot of support from my "parent company" and I have trainings every week and am getting good commissions for the work that I do. I go out and meet people that can refer me business every week. I am getting referrals from my existing clients and my business is building steadily. My checks are getting bigger--and I am getting faster at getting bookings.

Yes there are stressful times, but the fun and happy times outweigh the bad stuff by far.

amy, I think all of us love our jobs or would not be doing them: but it is still only fair to inform anyone thinking of becoming an agent of the downfalls: A good agent does have to have experience in travel or outside training; the salary isn't great (my company pays a really greaat commission) everyone needs to know about those situations where the commission amounts to almost nothing and it does happen. Getting faster at booking is wonderful, but without the knowledge agents may not always be doing justice to their cliants. We need to do more than just punch in numbers, we need to guide them thought the choices; there is still the cost of insurance, the gifts and thank yous that are needed to keep the cliants after you book them the first time. Again, all of us love what we do, but no, the salary isn't what you can make with the same type of training in some other field. I was making much more working for a major hotel chain than I will ever make in the travel industry. NMNIta

• 8 months later...

The reason for my original post was that I was thinking of doing this when I retire. Not too sure now. Do you feel more and more are booking on the internet rather than using TA's? And to be honest I thought I would get discounts on trips, etc.. I hear it all the time that TA's get good perks.

If I were to do it, it certainly wouldn't be about the money. I no longer "work for the $$", if I'm going to work it must be something that interests me. Period. Life is to short to be stuck doing something you hate. I love everything about travel and some time ago did reservations for a large hotelier. I loved every minute of it because I got to help people with their plans and they were excited. To me, that in itself was fulfilling.

This is a good thread because it definitely points out the "good, bad and ugly" as we all know exists in all professions. Point is, if it's something you love, just do it!

Just my 2 cents.

Happy Sailing!!!

Romy

• 2 weeks later...

NMNita ~ I was thinking of becoming a TA part-time, home-based. I already plan all the travel for my boss. And, I help out friends, family members, and co-workers all the time in planning their cruises. I figured if I become a TA I might have some more insight and education to pass onto other people I already know. I already have a career and don't want to change. I just love traveling so much (and helping others plan theirs) that if I became a TA, I could do some good. So, I don't care about the money, no perks, insurance, etc. I already have that with my first job.

So, the question is: where do I begin? Should I join CLIA? Should I start with travel school? How do I actually establish myself as a TA so I can start learning more about the industry and then begin to pass that onto others? I'm so confused!!! I understand there aren't any standardized certification tests. So, where to begin? Help!!!

I've worked in the industry over twelve years and still love it. I became a home based agent for a very large travel company and business has been growing monthly. It's work and takes a long time to build up repeat clients. This is where you will be able to increase your earnings...the clients that are looking for price only and free gifts and discounts are normally one time clients...lots of work and not alot of return. Customer service is the most important aspect of (after product knowledge of course) selling travel. If you are able to "starve" for a year or so, even with experience, you will probably be able to make it as a home based agent. It takes alot of work and very long hours to really make a living as a home based agent.

lvtotrvl1 ~ I don't think you read my entire post. I'm not looking to make it a career; just something to do on the side. When I retire from my current profession, then I may forge full speed ahead. I just want to know how to get started. Help!

lvtotrvl1 ~ I don't think you read my entire post. I'm not looking to make it a career; just something to do on the side. When I retire from my current profession, then I may forge full speed ahead. I just want to know how to get started. Help!

That is what I understood from your post, and I think you will find it very difficult to do on the side...being honest, clients will need to contact you at any time. I was working full time, and tried to start my home business part time. It was very difficult. A client would call, and I would want to get back to them immediately...makes it hard if you are working two places...I finally made the decision to go full time as an at home agent (with a host company) and it has been a great year! If you are thinking of retiring, I would start taking some travel classes, volunteer at an agency etc. If you know an agent, ask if you can be thier assistant to help with the odds and ends...you will learn alot. Start looking into host agency's...the commission percent is much higher with a host than if you are just starting out and you have no volume with the cruiseline.

Oh, I see your point now. I have spoken with a few independent travel agents who do it part-time. They also have advised me to look into hosting agencies. They love it! And, in fact, a few of them started out part-time until their business got going. Then, they quit their day jobs because they have become so successful. I won't be retiring for about another 15 years. So, I think I'll still consider it part-time with a host and go full time when I retire.

Thanks for all the help!

If you don't know anything about the business don't you think it would be best to actually work in a travel agency part time. How do people work part time on their own in a business they know nothing about?

If you don't know anything about the business don't you think it would be best to actually work in a travel agency part time. How do people work part time on their own in a business they know nothing about?

Perhaps with a "host agency" they provide a lot of information to get you started, hence the name.....

Happy Sailing!

Romy

I have been arranging travel for various people for about 10 years. So, I do know something about the industry. I just want to start making a little money doing it. I certainly can't say that I'm an accomplished "World Traveler," but I love cruising and am eager to experience a broader perspective of the entire cruising industry. I've put in countless hours for my "clients" and I I'd like to be compensated (a little). At any rate, some of the host companies I've researched all require some training that THEY provide: on-line classes, seminars, etc.

Archived