Princess Amazon cruise

canuk05

My husband & I are looking at a 14 day cruise from FLL to Manaus with Princess. He is confined to a wheelchair. I have posted this on the disabled board but did not receive any answers. We realize no excursions will be accessible and we are in a third world country so not much will be accessible. But, will he be able to get off the ship in Santarem, Parintins and Manaus? I am quite strong and can push him easily but stairs are a problem. Any info is appreciated.

thanks Canuk05

• 4 weeks later...

canuk05,

My first reply seems lost in cyberspace so I'll try again.

We just came back from those ports Oct. 28 on the Veendam. The river is very low now and the ramps from the dock to "town" are very steep and about 300-400 feet long in Manaus and Parintins. No, you couldn't push your husband up the ramps without help. Santorem is level concrete to a small shopping area and the bus stop for town. If you are taking a spring trip-April, May, June the river will be much higher and the ramps less steep and probably doable. Don't forget that the gangplanks can be very steep also but the crew will help you there.

There is not a lot to do on the stops unless you are on an excursion. Manaus is extremely congested with people and traffic. Some of our best fun was watching the loading of the riverboats at the pier next to us. Everything is loaded/unloaded by manual labor. Souvenier shopping is available at the fish market area about a twenty minute walk from the ship. If you husband can be left alone for awhile that could be a fun experience.

At Parintins there is a little shopping at the top of the ramp to town but not much else. Boi Bumba is the attraction here. There was a man who got his wife to the Boi Bumba show in a wheelchair. How he did it I don't know but the ship's staff and the people on shore were very helpful in anyway that they could be. I think that if you talked to the ship's staff they could help you arrange transportation. Overall the heat and humidity seemed to slow folks down more than anything else.

Hope this helps. I'm slow on the keyboard and sometimes I ramble. If you have more questions just holler. The people are very friendly and the country is immense. A great trip. Dave

We did this cruise several years ago on the old Royal Princess. There were several people in wheelchairs who did get off in Santarem and Manaus. I remember that they reported having a wonderful time, but unfortunately I can't remember what they di.

• 2 years later...

Canuk05.....did you take your Amazon cruise? If so, how did you make out in the ports? What tours did you take and who offered them?

I will be going next month and I use an electric scooter. I am hoping to do some sightseeing under my own steam. If I am able to arrange it, I will take a private tour to the meeting of the waters.

Archived