Help with private driver to ship

Can someone give me advice on cost and who to get to take 3 of us from the Rome Airport to the the port. The cruise line is charging $375 for the 3 of us.

Also need advice on how to get from the ship in Venice to the airport. The cruise line is charging $270 for the 3 of us.

Fran

Do a search on this board as this question for Rome and Venice have been answered many times and there is all kinds of info and links for shuttle service,private drivers and train info (Rome) and water taxi or land taxi in Venice.

Can someone give me advice on cost and who to get to take 3 of us from the Rome Airport to the the port. The cruise line is charging $375 for the 3 of us.

Also need advice on how to get from the ship in Venice to the airport. The cruise line is charging $270 for the 3 of us.

Fran

It will cost about €150. That was our cost for 4 people from the port to the airport. They will need to know quantity and size of your luggage as that will tell them what type of vehicle to use. Try romashuttle.

I can tell you not to use "airportconnection". We had an unreliable experience with them.

Fran

Hi Fran,

We just finished our Carnival Liberty Oct 10 to Oct 22 Med Cruise. We used private drivers in Rome, Naples, Messina, Cannes, and Livorno. We had pretty good luck with our drivers. Some were better than others, but all were at least satisfactory. At the rest of our ports we just signed up for the ship sponsered excursions. If you want to know of any of them, let me know.

About airport shuttles, we used "Rome Shuttle Limousines".

http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/Inglese_p.htm

http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/CivitavecchiaE.htm

They offer airport shuttles and city tours at a pretty reasonable price. Do keep in mind that because of excessive luggage, they may add 10 or 15 more Euros to the price because they will have to send a larger vehicle.

There were 4 of us sharing the shuttle and the price from Rome to the Port was 135 Euro each way in a Mercedes minivan (plus we included a tip for our driver). It should have been 145 euros, but we got a discount because we used them for multiple trips. About tipping in Europe, we were advised that 5 to 10 percent is common depending on the excellence of the services received.

They were excellent and offered a very fair price. We used them 3 times. First to take us from FCO Airport to our hotel in Rome, and then again to take us from Rome to the port in Civitevecchia and back. I kinda wish we used them for our Rome City Tours, but we used someone else. The nice thing about them was that they send you and english speaking driver, plus you know the price before you get to your destination. We found that the "on the curb" taxis would quote an estimated price and when you arrive, the cost ended up being much more, plus you can't be sure that they may be taking a longer route so they can charge you more (which is what happened to us in Rome, so we didn't tip the guy.)

When you fill out the form, where it asks which hotel, just type in Civitevecchia Port and see what the charge will be when they respond. Sometimes it takes Charlotta a while to respond to her emails because she can receive 200 emails a day. When that happened, I would just call Italy at 011-39-340-776 7021. Just keep in mind the time difference.

We used a driver name Marco for all 3 shuttles. He was wonderful. He was a little late at the airport due to an accident on the hwy that stalled traffic, but he definately always shows up. We actually saw the accident and traffic on the opposite side of the road back to Rome. We got him all three times because we requested to have him pick us up to and from the port. He was right on time. If you do use them and get Marco, please tell him the Roehricks sent you.

Maybe I included too much information, but I hope it all helps make your arrangements easier. Have a great vacation. We did.

Millie

• 1 year later...

I just returned from a Rome vacation and spent over $1,000 on Rome Shuttle Limousine's services. I do NOT recommend them. Stay away. All over the site they advertise a Mercedes Benz fleet. Two of our rides were in dirty old cars, a Chrylser mini-van and Lancia. The latter vehicle had no air conditioning. I complained but www.romeshuttlelimousine.com don't care.

Archived