Odd annoying behavior

stbmom

Whether it's children running wild, chair hogs, people in wheelchairs or scooters driving without concern for others, people pushing strollers without concern for others, etc. etc. etc. .... we're all talking about rudeness and disregard for other people.

It happens on land, too. But in the confines of a cruise ship--even a large cruise ship, it's more evident and more annoying and even more dangerous at times because there is no where to go to get away unless we go to our cabins. Last August DH and I were visited by the Upgrade Fairy to an Owner's Suite on the Norwegian Dawn and had such luxury we did just that to get away from the children running rampant without supervision. With two balconies and no room on the pool deck anyway we just enjoyed the comforts of the suite.

Ok here's my 2 cents:

"size 18 in a 2 piece" who cares? i dont care what ppl wear its whats inside that matters, i never realized how many shallow people are out there. the woman (or man) some of you sit back and laugh at, sneer at, or stare at is someones mom, someones sister, someones hero, someones everything. jeez, some of you guys need to take a personal inventory, i would rather be plump than shallow anyday.

"late to dinner people" although it is slightly rude, i always mention to our table mates that we like to wait for them to arrive before we start...and its never been a problem as a matter of fact we are cruising in january with tablemates we met in september.

"farting in the elevator" eh, what can ya do? hold your breath maybe, LOL

"one flight up or down on elevator instead of steps" well, i have an injury to my feet (happened two weeks apart, when it rains it pours i guess, LOL) it prevents me from fully rotating/flexing my foot on stairs. it is quite painful also. i have no choice but to use the elevator...please, don't judge people when you don't have the facts or know them. i walk almost perfectly and you would really not even know i have an injury, but that doesnt mean you should stand there and decide who gets to use the elevator.

here is one that really gets me: the people who hold up the whole buffet line standing there arranging their plates, their salads, their sandwiches while everyone is waiting...go back to your table and do that. just grab what you need and keep it moving please!

also, the running kids by the pool, i had a group of kids decide out of the blue that me and my tablemate were going to be what you had to "tag"...we were relaxing and chatting and all of a sudden, splashing, screaming, and ten kids are diving on top of us while their parents sat and watched. of course we smiled and waved it off, but we were slightly taken aback by it.

Ok, that's all.

Happy cruising, happy posting!!!

In three cruises, I have never seen kids running wild nor any kids cruising on elevators pushing all the buttons, etc. I was on Freedom last week that had over 500 kids on it and didn't notice any rude behavior from children. We did, however, have scores of "adults" smoking where they shouldn't, stopping to chat up their friends in the middle of a crowded promenade or other places where people flow is necessary. Adults filing into an elevator with people trying to exit. People setting towels to save deck chairs that remained unclaimed for half a day. (Now that folks are charged for lost towels, I smell a business opportunity).

None of the above bothered me enough to ruin my day or even that moment. On the swimsuit issue, trust me, I didn't see a lot of catalog models running around the pool areas so some of the folks posting here are part of the problem rather than the solution :p

Never did see one child who did something rude or obnoxious all week. They all played in H2O zone and not one child seen in any of the other pool areas all week.

I can't recall any odd behavior, but I depise the chair hogs whether by the pool, in the lounge, or even off the ship and at the local theatre. If I want a chair and none are available, I have no problem after 30 minutes removing the items left on the chair in question, ..stacking them neatly near the chair and sitting down. If they do come back or I notice someone looking for their stuff, I politely show them the stack of stuff. At the theatre (...which btw is my worse pet peeve) when someone takes up an entire row of seats and sits one person on each end saving the 20 seats between them. I politely ask if the people are getting popcorn and are actually in the theatre. If they're not, ..I have no problem telling them that I'm not sitting in the first row because their group can't be here on time. I'll wait until the movie starts and if still nobody has showed up I'll go sit down in their saved seats. I never really had the gumption to do that many moons ago but it happens all the time at our movie theatre and I guess finally I just snapped and I've never looked back. Grrr it drives me nuts!! :D Thanks for letting me rant :)

It would be erring on the side of kindness, to assume that the use of a wheelchair or scooter was necessary, and leave it at that. But it is annoying when the behaviour that some of these people use effects you. Handicapped folks don't apprieciate discrimination, and I don't think they are exempt from critisism either!

I thankfully have two Grandmother's with me, that both use a wheelchair or scooter at times. One, has a very serious heart problem and can't walk very far before she can't breathe at all. When I take her shopping, she fights me every time about the scooter! She doesn't like to stand out. (she's 93 still lives on her own)

My other Grandmother, is a hypocondriac! Litterally, she goes to a different doctor every day. She overeats and pushes and shoves, and demands that folks get out of her way. She uses a scooter because she is fat, and she insists on continuing to eat poorly, even though the doctor's tell her she shouldn't. My mother just told me yesterday that she said, "It's to late for me, I want those cookies!"

I love both of them, but I can see both sides of this coin from my own personal experience.

<edit> For the record, if someone were mean to my Grandmother, because she was being pushy I wouldn't like that either. Regardless of who what where or why, we should be tolerant of others to the best of our ability, but it is certainly annoying. I get annoyed myself, but I'm still good to my Grandmother.

A story about out of control children...

Last Feb. we sailed Sovereign out of PC... We met this great couple onboard and spent our Day at Sea together by the pool... so all 4 of us decide to get in the hot tub...

A grandma and her granddaughter (about 4 yo) get into the hot tub... The little girl is going from person to person in the hot tub, using our knees to keep herself above the water... we just kept pushing her over to the grandma... Then the grandma gets out of the hot tub and just leaves the kid in there with us... the little girl was very outgoing, still holding onto us to stay above water... we kept telling her to go and find her grandma and pushing her away from us...

What bothered us about this is the perception that someone might get about this little girl being touchy-feely with complete strangers...

Later that afternoon, we saw the little girl just wandering the pool deck all by herself... not a parent or grandparent to be found... the pool deck was emptying out as people were getting ready for dinner...

How on earth in this day and age can a parent let a 4 yo out of their sight??

<edit> For the record, if someone were mean to my Grandmother, because she was being pushy I wouldn't like that either. Regardless of who what where or why, we should be tolerant of others to the best of our ability, but it is certainly annoying. I get annoyed myself, but I'm still good to my Grandmother.

I used to be the type person that would step out of the way or keep my mouth shut if someone tried to push me out of the way, butt in line or was rude. Now I don't have that much patience. You show me respect or kindness and I will be more than happy to do the same. Get nasty or pushy with me and you will not like what I have to say. It is a two way street for me. :)

The dreaded double post!!!!!!

I understand that, and that's why I intervene for her, make her appologies, and wisk her along, but I would hope you make your peace and just allow us to move on.

I'm watching the Today Show as we speak and they have on the Biggest Loser, contestants. And like my Grandmother, they all have deep seeded issues as to why they overeat, but I can say with all sincerity, that I love that show, and pull for those folks who work so hard to loose the weight! One gal is a comedian and was told that she is not as funny thin. She said that fat was funny, but fat also kills.

We should be most concerned about ones health first I would think.

On my last cruise I saw my own two children running up the stairs--I was in horror!

"Don't you two know how to behave? We have talked about this numerous times!!"

They were running because of an Adventure Ocean activity -- the scavenger hunt. Little did I know.

I just told them not to plow over anyone and have fun.

On my last cruise I saw my own two children running up the stairs--I was in horror!

"Don't you two know how to behave? We have talked about this numerous times!!"

They were running because of an Adventure Ocean activity -- the scavenger hunt. Little did I know.

I just told them not to plow over anyone and have fun.

So it is okay to run if it is a scavenger hunt? No one should run where there are large groups of people. You never know who is around the corner that could get run over

I just finished reading through all six pages trying not to laugh too hard. I will add the following

I know it's been said already, but after being on a cruise for Thanksgiving week I think it bears repeating: My number one annoying behaviour is parents who think that being on vacation means they can take a vacation from their parenting job.

People who get annoyed when they hear you speaking in a language other than English (for some reason I've always felt that people like this have some kind of insecurity complex and think when we speak in another language it's because we are talking about THEM....well you are right...we are talking about you!....just kidding :D)

Another language one: Crew members who don't know enough English to be able to communicate clearly with you. As I said before, I speak Spanish, and I always make it a point to find out where a crew person is from when I speak to them. If I see on their name tag that its a Spanish speaking country, I speak to them in Spanish...they really enjoy talking with you in their native tounge. However, if the crew person is from another country with a language I don't know, then I expect that person to be able to communicate intelligebly in English.

Archived