Did Anyone Else Notice...

RLM77

ECCruise,

Have been on Celebrity 10 times in the last few years, everything from 5 day to 14 day, from Europe to Bermuda to Alaska to the Caribbean. Have never seen a tie mentioned in the Celebrity Daily for men on informal night on any of those cruises. Always says "jacket and slacks," unlike the web site. In addition, on a number of these cruises (more than half) they have jettisoned one of the informal nights for an additional casual night. Some cruises have one informal night which is, IMHO, silly. Either do the number of nights designated for that cruise length or, as I would prefer, add an additional formal OR casual night and do away with informal. Its such a hodge-podge of dress styles that night anyhow.

That changed on my most recent cruise ("Hawai'i" aboard GTS Infinity on 22 October 2006). The dress code for "informal" evenings, as published in "Celebrity Today," included a necktie for gentlemen on "informal" evenings.

Norm.

Ah, Celebrity is not exactly Carnival. Much of what flies on Carnival won't get to first base on Celebrity. Some people do get away with minor breaches of Celebrity's dress codes on some sailings, but I cannot advise anybody to try it. Whereas the "frat party" crowd to whom Carnival historically pitched its product would typically complain about the existence of a dress code, Celebrity's cruwd routinely registers complaints about any and all breaches in its enforcement. On Celebrity, "formal" really DOES mean FORMAL and you will see a fair percentage of the men sporting "black tie" outfits rather than the alternative dark business suits.

Have you sailed Carnival? When? In my experience, a higher percentage of men on Carnival wore tuxes on formal night than did on Celebrity. Celebrity probably has 95% compliance with the dress code, but of those, I'd say about 60% are in dark suits and 35% in tuxes. On Carnival, the overall compliance may be lower (say 80%), but of those about 50% are in tuxes and 30% are in dark suits.

ECCruise,

That changed on my most recent cruise ("Hawai'i" aboard GTS Infinity on 22 October 2006). The dress code for "informal" evenings, as published in "Celebrity Today," included a necktie for gentlemen on "informal" evenings.

Norm.

But didn't change on Century last week. No tie requested, and one informal night dropped.

Jeans are forbidden AT ALL TIMES in the dining room, right? And yet I saw them often at breakfast and lunch. Worse yet, I saw a lot of sweatpant type outfits that I don't believe would even be appropriate at McDonald's, let alone a nice dining room! People may imply that the X passengers are more discerning and classy in their dress, and that may even be true in the evenings, but it seems like anything goes in the daytime...

Here are the new guidelines regarding jeans and shorts published on the Celebrity website :

Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés.

Archived