Stairmaster Tips Needed

georbeck

I wanted to try something new for my normal 30-40 minutes of cardio, so I jumped on the stairmaster! Just how is that thing supposed to work?:confused: I felt like I was either not working hard enough, or that I was thinking too hard about how to do it. I was set at level seven, I think, in the fat burn mode. The program gave various "hills" or inclines, and I found that the steeper the incline, the easier it was to exercise. Although I did work up a sweat after about five minutes, I felt like I wasn't really moving that much, nor was anyone else on the stairmasters. I gave up and switched to my buddy, the eliptical after seven minutes.

So my questions:

What level or mode would you use?

How does this contraption work?

What body part(s) is this supposed to target?

What advantages does this machine have over the eliptical or the treadmill or the bike?

Is it a good workout?

I know I can ask someone at the gym, but you guys always have such good answers too:)

Hello there.....

These are my observations; I am not a trained professional in the fitness business--only an overweight, middle-aged woman who loves to go cruising.

StairMasters existed long before anyone invented the elliptical trainer. I own a StairMaster, which I've have since 1999. I still use it even though I belong to a health club---it is my backup for foul weather in winter.

I have heard that elliptical trainers are much better for your knees than stairclimbers are. They are the next generation of this sort of exercise equipment. Because you are familiar with your elliptical trainer, stick with it.

I am six feel tall with long legs; I tried my first elliptical on the Explorer of the Seas two months ago (October 2006) when I decided to splurge on several sessions with a personal trainer (can't remember how much; $175 ish for 3 or 4 sessions comes to mind?). We used the elliptical trainer for 5 minutes at a time only to warm up and to cool down. I didn't care for the machine because I felt hobbled by it, as if its range of motion was designed for a shorter person. I don't feel that on my StairMaster.

Should you ever decide that you want to give the StairMaster another go, try the Manual Mode first. Stand on the machine steps and let them just sink down to the floor with you on them. Push the Start button; answer the prompts regarding program or workout: enter Manual, then weight, time (choose 20 minutes, maybe), choose Level (try 4 or 5--once started, just use the up or down arrows to make it higher or lower, thus easier or harder). Oh yes, hit Enter button after each bit of information answered. Once all info is in, start stepping. You'll know whether or not you want it harder or easier.

With the StairMaster, the amount of work done at any given level is the same regardless of whether you choose to do long, deep, full strokes/steps for each step, or quick frequent short strokes. I tend to frantically do short quick steps along with some quick-tempo music on my IPod. 30 minutes of very quick-paced, upbeat, happy dance music is the only way that I can get through my half-hour workout on this demanding and difficult-for-me beast of a workout. Television or a book doesn't work for me. The workout is just too boring and difficult at the same time. :(

Lastly, what I like about the StairMaster is that it fits my body and that I can get a Kick-a$$ workout in in only 30 minutes. Early into this workout, my heart rate is up and I am dripping with sweat. It takes me almost 20 to 30 minutes afterwards to cool down from this workout before I can take a shower. That's a good time to do some walking or stretching....

Hope this helps. :)

Leslie

Thanks for your tips! I tried the stairmaster again yesterday and had better luck. I think I was overthinking it, and starting in manual mode really helped. I didn't realize that the stairmaster came before the eliptical, but I guess that makes sense. I didn't do 30 minutes, but I can see how it would take so long to cool down after this workout. That's pretty impressive!

I agree that you need to have good music on in order to get a good workout. I like to listen to Flaming Lips really loud. I read that watching TV or reading actually SLOWS down your workout speed and calories burned. So I will take boredom over extra workout time to match normal calories burned!

Thanks again for the helpful tips.

Archived