Freedom Med. Questions

Hanson26.2

We are booked on the 6/30 Med cruise on Freedom next summer and have a couple of questions that I'm sure somebody that cruised Liberty last summer could answer.

- On embarkation day at FCO, does Carnival take luggage to the ship only with a transfer or excursion? I'm trying to find a way to get my luggage to the ship and do the day in Rome on our own.

- Which nights are formal nights?

- Which nights would be best to make reservations at the supper club?

- If you used the port transfer, are there opportunities to purchase wine before embarkation? As I understand it, this is the only time we are "permitted" to bring wine on board for consumption on the cruise.

Thanks for your input!

They take it with a transfer or a tour.

Best time is not on the formal nights, and when you get back on the ship the latest. Ask when you board in the main atrium, they will be there making reservations.

If you transfer, they don't stop, they go directly to the ship. You will have no problem bringing wine aboard in each port you stop in, so wait for the next day in Naples.

Last year when we were on the Liberty we arranged a private tour from the hotel where we stayed, took the tour and then he dropped us off for the cruise. Don't know where you would put your luggage if your doing a tour on your own, I would ask the hotel that your staying at, maybe they can hold it for you but then you would have to go back to the hotel.

You are going to have a blast!

Here's a link to our review if you'd like to read it. There is a lot of info about the ports. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=375641

To answer your original question about luggage. There were CCL reps in the baggage claim area. They were collecting luggage from anyone who wanted to give it to them. They did not ask if you were using their transfers or taking a precruise tour from them.

They would literally have no way of knowing what you were going to do after you gave them your bags anyway. We did opt for a precruise tour that included transfers but we didn't signup or pay for it until we had dropped off our bags and gone into a completely different area of the airport. The bags were all transported to the ship on a large truck (we saw them loading it) and magically appeared in our room that afternoon.

Julie and Dan....GREAT photo album! We are so looking forward to this cruise! We were booked on Liberty in July 06 and had to cancel due to health issues. We re-booked Freedom for next summer. I also read your blog.....10 miles on the treadmill......my compliments! We cruised with a large group in the summer of 05 while I was training for the Twin City Marathon....found it hard on the cruise ship. I did manage to run at a couple of ports....10 miles in Corfu, 8 miles in Katalalon (sp??). wanted to run in Rome but couldn't fit it in....maybe this time though!

Archived