Fascination Fun - Long Cruise Review 12/25-12/29

TennisLover

Hi there!

Tennislover- So if mini golf is up on top deck, was there no "topless" deck- or F deck? Hubby will be so disappointed, LOL. I saw that you went in ealry and stayed with relatives so it didn't apply for this trip, but we are flying in the day before- would you recommend staying the night in FLL, or going to Miami, and staying the night there?

No worries for your DH. Mini golf is in front of the ship. F deck is around the funnel in the back (my DH loved the sign that said No cameras!). I didn't go up there; don't know if he did!

We flew in and out of Palm Beach Airport because we were staying in that area pre- and post-cruise. In the past (and on our next cruise) we have stayed in Fort Lauderdale for a variety of reasons. For one thing, we fly Southwest and they don't fly to Miami. It's all really close anyway. Just depends where you can get good rates for airfare and hotel.

Re: Paradise Beach -- we didn't get there till 3 pm or after that, so the passengers from the cruise ships that arrived earlier packed the beach. It started to open up a bit after we got there as people had had enough of the beach. It wasn't loud at all though. Come to think of it, I didn't notice any "hawkers" (selling jewelry, trying to braid your hair, etc) - there was a guy who came around to see if you wanted anything from the bar. To the right of where we sat, there were booths for massage, hair-braiding and henna tattoos. And, you can see from the photo how close we were to the bar. I prefer a more empty beach, but we were only there for a few hours and I was glad to we didn't have to pay just to use the chairs. We went to Playa Mia another time we were in Cozumel. That was also a nice beach; there was definitely an entrance charge there and it was crowded too.

DoingGlory -- re: Larry's Limo.

We got a stretch limo (only 4 of us but lots of luggage - LOL). They picked us up in Wellington, then we picked up our friends in Boynton Beach, then went to the port. Did the reverse on the way back. Cost was $200 each way (which includes the tip). Had to pre-pay for the return trip on the way there, but we put on a credit card (they take them in the car) just so we'd have some recourse. They picked us up at 9 am and we were at the port at about 10:45 (also stopped at Walmart on they way to get some soda for our cabin). FYI - I would recommend calling Larry (they have the 800 number on the web site). Larry answers and is very helpful. Our driver told us that Larry has had this business for a long time and is very dependable. I found that to be true. I'm sure it costs less to rent a car, but we thought it would be nice to treat ourselves and it was fine since we were splitting with our friends.

We'll be in Newton and Welllesley, and I think my daughter will visit her camp friends in either Waltham or Worcester. That's a lot of towns. You probably grew up near one of them.

Hotel in Miami... we either stay with my parents (near Palm Beach) or we stay in Fort Lauderdale (Marriott Harbor Beach or Pellican Beach). Once, we spent a couple of days in Key Largo before our cruise. That was the best.

Sushi -- we are BIG sushi fans. It's not NY sushi (or even sushi from our favorite local Japanese restaurant) but it did hit the spot (we had 8:30 dinner). There was always a vegetarian option (my DH is a vegetarian). Strangely, they added cream cheese to a couple of rolls -- it was different and really not necessary.

:pGrew up near them? Small world, I lived in three of the towns you mentioned!

I guess we can't stay with your parents....oh, well, DH booked the Holiday Inn Port of Miami.

I see a few different sushi rolls that have cream cheese in them. Since I am not a very experienced sushi eater I just figured that is how they make some rolls. :rolleyes:

And to the poster with the question about Larry's Limo: we are being picked up at Ft. Lauderdale airport and driven to Miami for $64 one way (2 of us in a sedan) and the return trip from the port is appx. $88 (something about a port charge at that end).

I'm glad to see this has changed. They came highly recommended to us and I used them for my wedding four years ago. They picked up all the girls and took us to the synagogue, then were supposed to go to another location to pick up the guys. The driver thought he was done and forgot to get the guys! They were about 1 1/2 hours late, but I had built in extra time for things like this. Still, I was a wreck until they arrived!

Stacey

I would recommend calling Larry (they have the 800 number on the web site). Larry answers and is very helpful. Our driver told us that Larry has had this business for a long time and is very dependable. I found that to be true. I'm sure it costs less to rent a car, but we thought it would be nice to treat ourselves and it was fine since we were splitting with our friends.

:pGrew up near them? Small world, I lived in three of the towns you mentioned!

Buddyjo: I just found I'm going to Westborough, not Worcester.... (that's info from my 14 yo DD); I guess they're close, though.

Sorry about going off-topic, but since I started the thread, I thought it would be ok! :cool:

FYI - before the Fascination cruise, my DH said -- after our February cruise, that's enough cruises for a while:eek: . I don't know if it was Fascination or what, but today he was emailing links for cruise possibilities for next winter! I guess the cruises with my girlfriends will have to wait!

Looking forward to hearing reviews from future Fascination cruisers, since we had such a good time on that ship! Tell James (the piano bar player) that his Cruise Critics friends say "hello!" He wasn't aware of CC, but when I told him about it, he was worried about what we all have said about him! Ask for an Elton John song, but don't request Madonna! (can't tell you why, but you will regret it!).

Archived