Transatlantic questions

naples queen

We are looking at doing the re-positioning transatlantic crossing in May of 2007 on the Magica. Has anyone done this trip who could give a little insight into the ports, activities etc. We have only sailed Celebrity and know little about Costa. Can anyone compare the cabins, food, service and other amenities? Any information about the Magica and this itinerary would be appreciated. Thanks.........

Well I will tell you what i know. We did the transatlantic from Savona to Miami in November on the Mediterranea. So what I can tell you is about the long sea days I guess because I don't know what ports you have. We had very calm seas and that was good because there were six straight! The total trip was sixteen days. It was wonderful There was time to really relax and enjoy the cruise without all the running every minute we usually do to pack in everything. To me that was the best part. The trip money was in Euros. I don't know if yours will be or not. The staff was wonderful, the ship immaculate, the food, well, that is an opinion and I will give you mine but I WILL be flamed for it. We sat at a table for ten and had wonderful tablemates and enjoyed each night. I was not impressed with the food though. By all means we had plenty and lots of choices and wonderful waiters, but I personally did not care for lots of the food. The tablemates felt the same way. We in no way let it ruin our trip, it was a small part of it. We were on the Magica last year and thought the food was the same as the Mediterranea. Both below average for cruises. Now there will be some that will jump in here and tell me all about it being Italinan, I AM Italian, okay? Plus we had just spent six days in Italy before we got on the ship. So would I do this cruise again, yes! Am I doing it again, no, I am booked on the Carnival Freedom's transatlantic next fall. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input r/t the Magica and a transatlantic trip. Since my husband isn't crazy about Italian food to start with, this is probably not the right choice for us. I was hoping that although it's an Italian line that the food would be a bit more diverse. Were you at all bored on the many sea days? Every trip we have taken has been very port intensive so this type of cruise would be exactly the opposite and I'm afraid we might get bored.

We were never bored for a moment! Besides lots of activities on board, we like time to relax. We had smooth seas and balmy weather and a balcony so what more could anyone want?

The ports were mostly new to us also and we really enjoyed them Barcelona, Tererife, Guadaloupe, St. Maartin, and Nassau. Other than the last two, the rest were new to us.

I absolutely loved the transatlantic experinece.

You simply cannot compare a Celebrity and Costa product. One is completely understated and one is Carnival Kitsch. We've done both and Celebrity is my favorite cruiseline for many reasons. It also sounds as though your husband, like mine, will be very dissappointed with the food.

I wasn't unhappy with Costa, but I knew what to expect and the price was perfect. The service is good, but always with the awareness that the staff is very rushed. I also think you would be unhappy with the overall design and decor of the pool deck, buffet areas, and traffic flow. The cabins and balconies are larger than Celebrity though.

For the price of the Transatlantic (not a great deal when compared with others) I would try another line. Perhaps Royal Caribbean? That's what I'm looking at for April. The Navigator has a good price for the crossing and there is always something to do. However the ports are few.

Archived