1/14 Freedom of the Seas dive options for somewhat experienced solo diver?

niczeig

I'll be on the Freedom of the Seas cruise next week. I'm PADI certified and would love to get a dive in during the cruise, however, I don't have a dive buddy and I haven't done a dive trip in about 2-1/2 years. Technically, I don't meet the 2-year requirement on the offshore excursion descriptions, but I'm too experienced for the beginner scuba excursions since I'm already certified. Since I've only had a total of 9 dives in the past, I don't feel comfortable without a buddy or the assistance of a divemaster. I'm wondering...

1. Can / should I sign up for one of the dives offered through the cruise even though I haven't done a dive within the last 2 years?

2. Does the cruise line cater to solo divers by either matching them up with a buddy or pairing them with a divemaster?

3. Should I opt for a separate dive company at one of the ports, that is willing to work with smaller groups and will therefore be able to give me more personal assistance?

Thanks in advance!

I can't tell where you're from, but if you have a dive shop close that either has a pool or is close to one give them a call and get them to fit you in for a refresher course than you can dive a lot more safely. It only takes a couple of hours if your skills come back to you easily. By the way 9 dives isn't experienced and if it has been more than 2 years you might want to spend a little more time with the instructor for that refresher course. Of course if you want to badly enough you'll find an independent operator that will take you out no matter how unqualified you are - they only care about the money. A good operator will want to know your recent experience and will likely be able to pair you up with another diver. The solo diver is a common problem for dive operators everywhere.

You shouldn't dive without a refresher if you haven't had a dive in 1 year not 2. Remember its your life at risk as well as anyone that attempts to rescue you if you get into trouble.

I can't tell where you're from, but if you have a dive shop close that either has a pool or is close to one give them a call and get them to fit you in for a refresher course than you can dive a lot more safely. It only takes a couple of hours if your skills come back to you easily. By the way 9 dives isn't experienced and if it has been more than 2 years you might want to spend a little more time with the instructor for that refresher course. Of course if you want to badly enough you'll find an independent operator that will take you out no matter how unqualified you are - they only care about the money. A good operator will want to know your recent experience and will likely be able to pair you up with another diver. The solo diver is a common problem for dive operators everywhere.

You shouldn't dive without a refresher if you haven't had a dive in 1 year not 2. Remember its your life at risk as well as anyone that attempts to rescue you if you get into trouble.

Archived