Conquest only Questions! Post 'em Here!

ShoMeChiefsFan

we took some liquor in our bags last time and had no problem. i think the worse that could happen is they take your liquor.

I've read about that, too, a lot. I've read a lot of posts saying that people have done it & how, and none about getting caught or having anything taken away. Has anyone ever had a problem with getting their liquor on board, or had something taken away from them?:eek:

I will be going on my first cruise in June. I was wondering what the theme of the Conquest was? I heard that it was mardi gras but I didnt know if that was correct? Also my brother is a big basketball player and I was wondering what ages were usually at the court because he will be 16 at the time?

Hey gang,

There are a group of about 21 of us going on the Conquest in June. We were given a 5:45pm dinner. It seems we are going to have to go to get ready for dinner while the ship activities are still going strong. Should I just suck it up and take one for the team or try and encourage a later seating? What do you think is the best dinner seating?

I've read about that' date=' too, a lot. I've read a lot of posts saying that people have done it & how, and none about getting caught or having anything taken away. Has anyone ever had a problem with getting their liquor on board, or had something taken away from them?:eek:[/quote']

My DH and I took 1 bottle of whiskey, 1 bottle of rum, and 5 liters of wine in our checked luggage on 4/13 - no problems. I don't even think they check the checked luggage.... :p

I will be going on my first cruise in June. I was wondering what the theme of the Conquest was? I heard that it was mardi gras but I didnt know if that was correct? Also my brother is a big basketball player and I was wondering what ages were usually at the court because he will be 16 at the time?

The theme is 'Impressionists'. French Impressionist artists.

My DH loves basketball so he was happy to see there is a court, however it is only a half court so... meh. Anyway, he should fit in fine - its mostly younger/middle aged guys playing pickup games or HORSE. Just show your sign & sail card @ the main pool activities booth and get a ball (free, unless you don't return). The afternoons seemed to be the busiest times for the b-ball court. Also, they have free throw contests on 2 days. Fun. A girl won one of them. :D

Hey gang,

There are a group of about 21 of us going on the Conquest in June. We were given a 5:45pm dinner. It seems we are going to have to go to get ready for dinner while the ship activities are still going strong. Should I just suck it up and take one for the team or try and encourage a later seating? What do you think is the best dinner seating?

I would try to go for the later time if possible....My DH and I had the 5:45 time - I will opt for the later 8 pm time next time. You can always grab a snack until you're ready for dinner. Plus, most shows don't start until 10:30 so you should be good to go to a show straight from dinner.

I am thinking get to the pier around 10:30? We arrived at 1pm and they were sooo long.

A big tip: When you get off the ship and you see the HUGE line waiting to go through customs..DON'T stand in it. Get one of those porters with the carts to take your luggage and they will wisk you through their own customs line. Waaaaayyy quicker...

I don't know if this is the case every time.... we saw porters standing in line with people on 4/20...

I don't know if this is the case every time.... we saw porters standing in line with people on 4/20...

Last December when we sailed on the Ecstasy, we were going to get a porter, but the lines were almost as long to get a porter:( , so we gave up and just stayed in the regular line.

Cathy

Question about when the next date is that they do the 90 day immigration check of the crew. Someone on another thread said they just sailed on the Conquest from 4/13 to 4/20, and embarkation was a nightmare because of this. Sooo... going forward from 4/13, does this mean the next crew check is going to be on 7/13?

That's what I figured out. I even calculated 90 days exactly, and it's right in the middle of the July 6 cruise, so I'd imagine the arrival/departure on July 13th will be the nightmare.

Dang it. Does anyone know how long debarkation takes on those days? I don't really mind waiting to embark, but now I'm worried about catching my flight home on July 13. Guess I better start checking into Southwest's rebooking options. :(

WE loved the Harbour House, we walked to the cruise terminal took all of 5 minutes. The rooms were big and we got a view of the cruise ships! If you get up early (6am) you can watch the ships come in. IT was awesome!

I'm staying at Harbor House before my cruise in July. Do all the rooms loook onto Conquest? The website says all rooms have harbor views but I can imagine looking toward the opposite side. Any rooms you'd suggest requesting? I'm so looking forward to a pleasant walk to the pier. :D

I'm staying at Harbor House before my cruise in July. Do all the rooms loook onto Conquest? The website says all rooms have harbor views but I can imagine looking toward the opposite side. Any rooms you'd suggest requesting? I'm so looking forward to a pleasant walk to the pier. :D

I heart the Harbor House! We stayed when we sailed last June for our HM. Not all rooms face the Conquest just half. Think of the HH as a rectangle one long side of the rectangel faces the Conquest and the other faces the other way though it still has a harbor view. Make sense?? HTH!

I am thinking get to the pier around 10:30? We arrived at 1pm and they were sooo long.

A big tip: When you get off the ship and you see the HUGE line waiting to go through customs..DON'T stand in it. Get one of those porters with the carts to take your luggage and they will wisk you through their own customs line. Waaaaayyy quicker...

This tip worked great for us too!!! We got a porter at the bottom of the ramp & we walked right by the huge long line to wait in a semi short one, not to mention we were not having to carry a thing. Well worth the $ tip per bag. Plus, he was nice and FUNNY! I was surprised more people weren't using them...

Should I just suck it up and take one for the team or try and encourage a later seating? What do you think is the best dinner seating?

Based on what I've heard now, unless you have young kids and will retire early, take the LATER dinner seating. I usually eat fairly early, but since there is food ALL over the ship & you tend to snack more you can wait longer. Then you also tend to stay up later because most of the fun stuff starts after 10PM for adults. Finally, on port days, you'd practically have to rush back to get ready in time for early dinner, then you sit around waiting for stuff to do AFTER dinner. (at least that's what I heard)

Later dinner worked best for me, so I was glad I listened to the advice on the boards. You need to decide what will work best for YOU and your family. I don't know how hard I would work to get your ENTIRE group to agree. You would just have to decide if it's more important that you are all "eating at the same time." Are you planning on staying together the entire cruise? Are there mostly adults who will want to do stuff after dinner? or do you have mostly a few adults with lots of young kids? Either way, there are a lot of dining opportunities so you don't just have to eat in the dining room. I think on port days the dining room is fairly empty at the early dinner times...

This was our view from our room at the Harbor House - opposite of the Conquest view.

2058271830103188961S425x425Q85.jpg

without the search feature, it was a bit difficult for me to sort thru the galveston hotel posts.

however, i was wondering if anyone had recommendations based on past experiences for a hotel near the port for a 1-night pre-cruise stay? particularly one that offers free shuttles to the pier.

thanks!!! :)

I just found out about the new 2009 itinerary for the Conquest going to the Bahama's. We have only cruised RCL and with the new itinerary and being able to sail from Galveston we are going to give Carnival a try. Can anyone tell what is the best deck to be on? We would like a balcony cabin suggestions?

without the search feature, it was a bit difficult for me to sort thru the galveston hotel posts.

however, i was wondering if anyone had recommendations based on past experiences for a hotel near the port for a 1-night pre-cruise stay? particularly one that offers free shuttles to the pier.

I recommend the Harbor House. Beautiful, fairly large rooms. Plus you can keep your car in their lot while you cruise... I think there was a $20 charge for this, then walk a block to the cruise terminal.:)

I just found out about the new 2009 itinerary for the Conquest going to the Bahama's. We have only cruised RCL and with the new itinerary and being able to sail from Galveston we are going to give Carnival a try. Can anyone tell what is the best deck to be on? We would like a balcony cabin suggestions?

We are already booked for next year on the new itenerary.. Cant wait..

We have stayed on 7th floor (cant think of the name of that deck) in a balcony cabin and loved it..

We stayed at the Hilton on Seawall and loved it. Free parking for the cruise and the shuttles to/from the port were very organized. Drop off and pick up right at terminal door. We had a much better experience than many of the other guests in our party that stayed elsewhere. I will stay there again whenever I am cruising from Galveston.