Best Shore Excursions

DLaForce

We will be on the 02/24 Western Caribbean Disney Magic. I have a 3 and a 5 year old and was wondering if anyone has done any of the shore excursions and had thoughts on which would be the best to take the whole family on.

The Western Caribbean has stops at Cozumel, Key West, and Grand Cayman.

As a side note, I am dying to try real Key Lime pie but don't know where to go. You have to figure Key West is the place to do it.

Hi,

with the ages of your kids it is a little harder for excurions, but at Key West there is an aquarium very close to the port. There is cool pirate museum but they may be bored with that.

Almost every attractions is within walking distance of the port.

The best thing for you may be to go to the tourist information building when you first arrive. They have lots of brochures and maps there, plus a person to get you started and to ask directions.

You will be given a basic street map of the area next to the ship and it does show the tourist building.

Once you get to the end of the pier, turn left on the sidewalk and pass by a few gift shops, the sidewalk will curve right along the shops, then you have a road where you turn left and walk just a little ways and you will see on your left signs for the aquarium and the ship wreck museum and gift shops. walk to that area, (only a block)face the aquarium, then turn to your right and keep walking along the gifts shops and you will see a small building that says tourist information on your left. That is where you want to go, it is easier to find than it sounds like. You can also ask anyone there where it is.

They can also tell you about the best key lime pie restaurant that is close by!!! Featured on the cooking network!! YUMMY!! Walking distance.

There are 2 trolley rides right there too.

One is a tour but you cant get off, they just show you where places are.

The other goes all over the area with many stops where you can get on and off when you want. we did that one and it was very confusing to try and find things. It also went for miles and miles to stop at different hotels to pick up people there. After we got back we found out we could of easily walked to all the places we wanted to see. The farthest place was the southern most point and it was only about a mile from the port.

Went typed in Key West tourism on google and got a huge list of things to do there. You might try that too.

You will have all day and part of the evening at KW so lots of time to explore.

Cozumel was closed when we went, so cant comment on it.

Grand Caymen had a turtle farm kids may like. It wasnt very big you can easily see it all in 20 minutes. But they are adding on to it. Other than that I would just guess a beach day. We didnt have young kids with us on that trip.

Sorry I couldnt be of more help, but please go to google and type Key West tourism you will find many thing besides the excursions the ships have listed, and all of them are close. I would take a couple of umbrella type strollers in case someone gets tired of walking. Large strollers are a real pain on the islands and on the ship. Umbrella type work best.

mom x4,grandma x4

Hi - we did the Western last June with our DS (7).

We did the trolley tour on our own in Key West and got off at the Southernmost Point. We had ice cream and shopped before we took the trolley back to Mallory Square. DS had fun with that. We then did the aquarium, which DS loved! He got to pet a small nurse shark and see a bull shark get fed. There is a great key lime pie place very close to the port. They have the best "key lime pie on a stick". It was dipped in chocolate. YUM!

In Grand Cayman we did the semi-sub. DS loved this and DH & I enjoyed it too. Much better than a glass bottom boat, since you actually sit below the surface in an air-conditioned area. The windows were very large and we saw several wrecks and lots of coral and sea life. DS got very excited when the diver got into the water and fed some of the fish.

I can't help with Cozumel though -- we didn't even get off the ship. We took advantage of this particular time and enjoyed the day at the Mickey Pool without the crowds. This may have been DS's favorite day. There was hardly a wait (if any) for the slide!

Happy Cruising!

We're on the same cruise as you and we booked the butterfly farm excursion in grand cayman thru DCL. i think it includes a trip to the turtle farm which is good for little ones.

In key west half of our group booked the pirate museam excursion thru DCL, but i guess it was sold out when i tried to book it. i hear it is in walking distance from the pier so we will head over there on our own. we'll have to try a piece of the key lime too. cant visit key west and not get it!!! :D

have fun ! hope we have good weather!!!

We are a family of four. Two kids ages 5 and 7.

Key west we are going to do the Aquarium. Sounds great they get to feed and hold sea animals)

Cozumel we are going to Paradise Beach to get in is free taxi $15.00 each way and toys for $10.00 each person and $10.00 to buy for each person.

Paradise Tom (I think have asked him questiions seems very nice) has a post questions if you go to Cozumel post threads or just to to the web site.

Grand Cayman we are going with Moby Dick (stingRays and snorkling) they do not want your money until you go plus I have read that if the water is wavy with little ones he will tell you and give you the choose to go or not. They will take you back to port and pick up at the ship if you would like to be dropped off at 7 mile beach they will do that ;then you will have to get a taxi back.

All in all. I think we are going to get lots of great adventures and memories and all have a wonderful time. we are only spending a total for all three ports and four people $268.00 that is counting taxi rides. If you did not want to do the toys (ice berg, comfortable chairs, tramoline in water, float things, snorkling gear and kayaks) at Paradise park that would save you $40.00.

If this helps and need web sites or anything else. Write and I will try to answer. Your trip is very soon! I hope you all have a great time.

Archived