Any Advice for Renting a Car and Doing GC on Your Own

kristing63

Don't worry that you're missing anything by making that decision. :) Rum Point, as nice as it is, is just a beach. Yes, it's a nice beach, but so is Seven Mile Beach, and Seven Mile is a heck of a lot closer to the pier and much easier to get to. Sometimes, Rum Point is a bit less crowded, but on a weekend or holiday or when there are a lot of cruise ships in, Rum Point can be just as crowded as Seven Mile...and since it's a lot smaller, with only the one snack bar and one gift shop, the crowds seem bigger because they're crammed into a smaller space. (My FIL owns property at Cayman Kai, just around the cove from Rum Point, and I won't go anywhere near the area on a weekend, for example.)

Personally, unless you've been to Cayman a bunch of times and you're looking for something different, I'd recommend getting a day pass at one of the hotels along Seven Mile Beach instead of trying to rent a car and drive all the way out to Rum Point. Why spend all that time driving (and stressing about getting back on time) when you could be spending it sitting on the beach instead?

DEFINITELY SOUND ADVICE!!

I am not going to ruin my time on GC renting a car now, thank you all who responded to this thread. I was sure that renting was the way to go, and now I am sure its not. My DH would have been VERY nervous the whole time thinking we wouldnt make it back in time, and that would not have been fun for either of us. We will just lay on the 7 mile beach instead of the Rum Point one. :D

Archived