What can you bring to port?

Crowell85

Hey, we are leaving for our first cruise in 16 days. I have been looking at a lot of the posts and I understand all about the food and drinks that you can bring when you leave the ship to go to port. But one thing I was wondering, are you allowed to carry a muilt-tool? I don't want to bring it if I can't take it. Thanks

Hey, I think now that is the only way to do it. They will not let you bring it on a plane. But my real question is when I get off the ship at a port, can I bring it with me, or is it something I have to leave on the ship?

Check with Ship Security before you leave with it. They may take it when you come back aboard. Not sure if they would give it back.

are you allowed to carry a muilt-tool? I don't want to bring it if I can't take it. Thanks

I used to keep one in my checked luggage - never had a problem until an Hawaiian cruise on NCL. After arriving in our cabin, we had a phone message asking us to come to the baggage area where they found a dangerous object in our luggage (my multi-tool) :) I kissed it good-by, they took it away, and said I would get it back at the end of the cruise. Right.

Mid-week, I asked the purser's desk how I could get it back. They pulled out a box (full of knives, multi-tools, switchblades, etc.) and there was my old faithful, tagged with my name - and they GAVE it back to me.

Later in the same week, I returned to the ship at one of the islands with my sub-miniature (2") Swiss Army knife in my pocket. They took it away at security. Two hours later, I got it back from the purser's desk the same way as before.

Who know's what they were thinking. Now, I leave all such dangerous objects at home. ;)

My DH carries a pocket knife and we packed it in the checked in luggage. You need to wrap it in some clothes so that it is not easily accessible to SOME of the sticky fingers that handle the luggage. You will do the same when you preapre your bags the night before you go home. My DH carried his pocket knife with him the entire cruise, on and off the ship. There was also a passenger that took a tour with us and he had a long sharp knife be belted around his leg when he went snorkeling. Nothing was.

Archived