Noticed Any Smaller Crowds on Caribbean Cruises?

Royal Caribbean announced it's 4th quarter financial results yesterday, and while showing a profit, indicated that first quarter 2007 earnings would be disappointing, due to a weak Caribbean market during the January-March period. According to the company, the Caribbean market has been effected by a warmer than expected winter, higher air fares, and increased capacity at some ports.

For any experienced cruisers who recently cruised to the Caribbean, did you notice smaller than usual crowds? Also, in view of the company's statement that "Pricing in the Caribbean hasn't been as robust, particularly through the first half of the year", have you noticed any particularly good cabin prices for these cruises?

I should add that I do not own any Royal Caribbean stock (or any cruise line stock for that matter). This article just made me wonder.

If anyone's interested, here's a link to the full article:

http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinvesting.aspx?view=CN&WTmodLOC=C3-News-2&symbol=RCL&storyID=2007-02-05T164709Z_01_N05404635_RTRIDST_0_ROYALCARIBBEAN-EARNS-UPDATE-3.XML&type=qcna

A weak market usually means deeply discounted fares as opposed to vacant cabins. So the crowds can be the same size but many are sailing at cost or below. There is still profit to be had from purchases aboard but not the additional profit from high demand fares.

Cruiselines want to sail with full ships no matter how low the fare must go.

Dan

Archived