Roll call Mariner April 9, 2007

ricki

Hum...Now that I'm starting my "virtual" packing...you've got me counting the shoes -- and, actually, I'd forgotten about the hiking boots, so --- add in one more pair! Cerinda, I know what you mean about the snorkel gear. (...and pink IS fabulous!) Luckily we only have to drive to the port so Mark just carries ours on.

Neon pink flippers! The fish are going to think you are so cool! Good idea about the small, heavy suitcase. We usually drive to our ports, so it makes it much easier to overpack. I know, I know, driving from Memphis??? I really dislike flying, but I AM flying to Ft. Lauderdale. We thought it would be too long a trip in the car for my mom. When we took the entire family on Crystal out of New Orleans, a 6 hour trip became 12 hours. Our daughter was still nursing Alex (who was 8 mos old, now he's a big boy of 3 and there's a new baby) so we had to stop over and over again! We fit 4 adults, 2 children and all their luggage and gear for a 10 day cruise even in a GMC Yukon XL, it was a tight squeeze. When we left from Tampa on Symphony in December, we just rented a car in LA and drove to Scottsdale for Christmas, then drove home. I am married to a good guy who humors me.

Did you make dinner reservations on board yet? I booked dinner for all of us at Signatures on Wednesday.

Have a great weekend Mia and Cerinda!

I'm having a devil of a time arranging my mother-in-law's birthday dinner onboard.

A table for six? Right there on the pull-down. For seven? :confused: ummm... Nowhere to be found. And my MIL's TA got nowhere fast with the FLL operations people when she called them.

So I've made a reservation for six, and am hoping for the best.

What do you think the odds are of getting the Signatures staff to set a table for seven? Mia, you've eaten in Signatures before: does the room prohibit that kind of improvisation?

I'm probably stressing over nothing (I've never been told "no" on a Regent ship, but I don't ask for the moon and the stars --just smoothies and lamb chops:D ), but I can't help wanting everything to be perfect. She's such a terrific person, and this IS a landmark birthday.

And our docs haven't arrived yet. Have yours?

Ok, I've had my little freak-out. I'll go back to stressing over whether the pink flippers fit or not...

event.png

Happy Sunday Evening!

You are both waaaaaay ahead of me ... I haven't made any reservations yet! I guess we'll meander around the day of boarding and do that.

Cerinda: Mark and I both enjoy Signatures and, although the restaurant is not large, having dined there with two other couples (at a table for six), I believe that squeezing in one more for such a special occasion should not be a problem. Our tickets arrived earlier this week.... so now the countdown begins in earnest!

Ricki: Are you flying in early? The weather has been beautiful so I know you'll enjoy any pre-cruise days you may have in Ft. Lauderdale!

Look forward to seeing you in just three weeks! Mia

Hi Mia and Cerinda,

Mia, I wish we were coming in a day early, but we thought it would be easier for my mom to just fly in the same day and board the ship as soon as possible. We take a 9 something am flight and get into Ft Lauderdale about 12:30 pm. We have Regent's air arrangements, so hopefully someone will be there to meet us and take us to the ship.

No packing yet, but David did bring down the luggage from the attic! And I am thinking of what to take. This is so much easier to pack for since there are no formal nights. David once forgot his formal shirts on a Crystal cruise. They opened the shop for him, but did not have his size (he's got very long arms), but the concierge saved the day when she found one of the head waiters wore his size and delivered a shirt to him to use for the entire cruise.

I've been reading the other postings about the need for Mariner to travel more slowly than normal because they haven't been able to repair the pod problem. Evidently it takes 9 mos to make the part and another 4 to develop the casing for it and then install it. I don't know if any of our ports have reduced time because of this, but others who are sailing to more exotic ports are really upset because the time in some places is significantly reduced or at odd hours. On this cruise, the ship is the destination!

Cheers!

Ricki

Hi, Ricki and Cerinda!

Agree... Much lighter packing w/o formal nights. We haven't actually broken out the suitcases yet either, but I have been formulating a "virtual" packing list on paper.

I'm not too concerned about Mariner's cruising speed on this trip either. Hopefully we'll have beautiful, balmy weather! And with great food, fine wine, outstanding accomodations ... and plently of opportunity for relaxation ... or a variety of activities, I have to agree, Ricki - on this trip the ship is the destination! :)

I've been following the pod issue closely, too. Given the distances we're sailing, I can't see that it's much of an issue. At worst, our days in Cozumel and Key West may run short.

Even though this trip is all about sun and relaxation, socializing and celebration, I'm really looking forward to one port in particular. :D From Santo Tomas de Castilla, David and I are going to a place I've dreamed of ever since I saw it in my third grade history book, the Mayan city of Tikal.

No, I haven't started packing yet. Still just making lists and picking up little things like bug repellant and snorkel clips. It's spring break around here: right now, we have one child home from college; next week, I'm accompanying another child to LA for college interviews; and always and everywhere, we have our youngest dashing in and out.

I suppose I'm going to have to focus sooner or later ;)

event.png

Hi Cerinda and Mia,

We received our cruise documents today and our cabin is 954. Are you all close by? This was the first time we tried using a guarantee, we booked an H catagory and got bumped up to an E. I would imagine that unless you are in a suite, all the cabins are pretty much the same. I'm trying to think of a use for the faux suede bag!

Two weeks from Monday!

Have a great weekend!

Ricki

Good Evening (or is that Good Morning?) - Hard to believe our trip is only two weeks away! It's going to be a busy couple of weeks at work for me, but once we walk over Mariner's gangway, "work" is going to be spelled "relax!"

Cerinda - How cool that a dream you've had since childhood is about to become reality! The pictures I've seen of the ruins at Tikal do look pretty incredible!

Ricki - I think you are right about the rooms being pretty much the same. From looking at the ship layout on the rssc website it does appear that location determines the category.

Speaking of the rssc website... I think I may pop over there and check out the 2008 cruises-always cost effective to book the next trip while onboard. :) Have a great Sunday! Mia

Hi Cerinda and Mia,

I agree with Mia, it's terrific that you are going to see sites that you have dreamed about since you were a child. It's wonderful to have dreams come true!

Now we're getting serious: The clothes are coming out of the closets and drawers and I'm ready to pare them down. I'll try to stick by Cerinda's shoe rules!

We've made reservations in Signatures for Wednesday evening and my brother is taking care of Latitudes. I know that we would like to try the informal dinner restaurant (the name escapes me) too.

Counting down...

Ricki

Hi Ricki, I am a cc and will be on the 4/9 Mariner sailing. We live in South Florida so the trip to the ship is a 30 minute car ride. I have sailed on the Mariner in the Med and it was a wonderful experience.

Any great ideas for excursions?

Elaine

Hi Elaine,

We're glad to have you sailing with us. You are so lucky to live close to the ports, no worries about flights and too many shoes!

See you a week from tomorrow!

Ricki

Hello, Elaine!

The only excursions I know anything about are the archeology and snorkeling ones: will that help?

I look forward to meeting you in one short week! Here's hoping these last seven days go quickly and easily; I'm counting the hours until we leave Saturday morning!

Cerinda

event.png

Archived