Golf Excursion at McKinley

monty95

OK, I've looked at the excursions on Princess and see that some (like the snorkling) are not going to be one of my choices...1/4" of rubber suit or not :-)

However, the golf excursion while we're at McKinley sounds like it might be fun. Has anyone tried this one? What's the course like? Do you play 9 holes or 18? Also, being that we'll be at the McKinley lodge around 9/13 - 9/14, how cold can I expect it to be? It's a bummer I'll be missing our United Way golf tournament at home, but if I can golf at Mckinley, that might make up for it.

If the golf is at Black Diamond- near Healy- it seemed like a nice course. The DW was with me so I didn't play, but we had a nice dinner at their clubhouse and the course looked to be in good shape in early July. It was only 9 holes- and was very short. It is more a thing just to say you had done it than really getting a great round of golf in. I just settled for a polo shirt and cap.

We just returned from Summit to Alaska with an additional 5 night land tour. Our trip was absolutely wonderful except for one excursion - golfing at Black Diamond. I signed up my DH and myself prior to our trip since he loves golfing and I thought golfing on the tundra sounded great. It just seemed they were not really ready for business yet. The 9-hole course was not in good condition at all. There were no cart paths to follow and directions for each hole were not clear. However, the view was spectacular with mountains completely surrounding us. Although we did not eat at their clubhouse, we heard from others who went on a city tour that the food was delicious. So if you want a good view and to be able to say you played golf on the tundra - go for it. Or just settle for the shirt and cap and spend your money elsewhere.

As I heard over and over, the nearest gift shop is always only about 150 feet away!

Archived