Disabled on Disney?

willieg

We did a three generational cruise on DCL a couple of years ago and are scheduled to do it again next year. My grandparents both brought along wheelchairs, but we did not use a handicapped cabin, because they were both able to walk around on their own within the cabin (not to walk long distances).

It was VERY easy to push them around in the wheelchairs, and we had no problems getting on or off the ship or around the ship with them. The dining room will let you pull the wheelchair right up to the table (and just remove a chair) or will assist you from your wheelchair into a dining room chair and store the wheelchair to the side.

Also, on Castaway Cay, there are special beach wheelchairs provided, so you can wheel people right onto the sand! We loved being able to take grandpa onto the beach with us, instead of just having to leave him off to the side!

If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them.

The down side is that the midship elevators are small. I got out a few times to let a wheelchair in. There wasn't enough room for all of us. There are larger elevators forward and aft.

The up side is that the accessible staterooms are usually larger than other staterooms in the same category.

As a disabled person who has stayed in both types of rooms, I know that it is much easier to have a "handicapped" room. You can store your wheelchair or scooter in the room with you as well as get around a lot easier. For me, having my wheels in the room after a busy day in port really helps because even though I've used my chair all day, I can barely stand by the end of the day. Having the chair in my room can mean the difference between being able to get ready to go out that night or having to order room service because I can't stand & walk around long enough to get ready.

With that said, DCL has 4 interior handicapped in the aft level of 6 & 7 and a few handicapped outside & balcony rooms. These rooms have wider doors, more room (for wheelchairs) and toilets and showers equipped for the physically disabled. You must request these directly and you must provide proof of disability complete with documentation from a doctor describing the nature of the disability - sorry, but simply because you tire easy is not enough.The rooms are much bigger and non-handicpped people like to "steal" the rooms from those who actually need the extra room due to disabilities). Best of luck!

Hi,

Disney does a wonderful job with disabled access and disabled guests. The cast members really seem to go above and beyond to make sure that disabled guests have every possible opportunity to enjoy the experience and use all of the amenities. They stop and talk to the person, take extra time to accommodate special needs, make sure they are comfortable.

I would highly recommend getting an accessible stateroom just to ensure that your grandfather is comfortable - it is a lot of money to take a Disney cruise and excitement. It is worth the effort to make sure that he enjoys himself and is safe during his trip.

The Disney cast members will take extra time with him. When I was on a Disney cruise, there was a woman with a seeing eye dog and the cast members helped her find a nice place on the Castaway Cay beach to sit and enjoy the day. They brought water for her dog. She spent the afternoon throwing the ball on the beach for her dog, who had a wonderful time playing chase and splashing in the water. It looked like some cast members had taken the time to watch out for her without hovering to make sure she enjoyed herself.

Best Regards,

Julia

Archived