Sting Ray city with RCCI? which one?

hog_wild

Hi guys,

I am in need of some quick help. I am trying to book our Grand Cayman trip to sting ray city. The problem is that there are about 5 choices all sayind something about "sting ray city" in the title. I have a 5 yr old and a 7 yr old who will be traveling. I want to be in water shallow enough for them. One of the listings says that the average water is 10-12 feet while there are others that say water is 3-5 feet. I just don't know which one or how to figure out which one is right for us.

Thanks!

You want to make sure you are going to the sand bar which is the one that is 3 - 5 feet deep. If you can't tell by the tour descriptions, call your TA or RCCL and ask them.

My understanding from my diver friends is that Stingray City is the 12 foot deep water, and unfortunately a lot of the ships tours use that term for both the deep water and the shallow sand bar.

The way you can tell the difference is Stingray City is 12-15 feet deep, while Stingray Sandbar is 3-5 feet deep. When looking at the title of the excursion, you want Stingray Sandbar for the shallow stuff =)

Looking at a map from my dive guide states that in the little bay area, Stingray City is by the mouth, directly west of the Sandbar. You can probably swim between them. Although it also said there were approx. 250 stingrays living in stingray city, and something less like 50-100 living at the sand bar. I still think there will be plenty to go around =)

Archived