cruise to Europe w/ 5yr old

flaca

I am booked to go on my first cruise to Europe (been on several to the caribbean). I am taking my five year old, this will be her first cruise ever. I am looking to tips on clothing to pack, places to visit, and any other helpful info. I want to to a pre and post stay in Rome. So, any tips on a hotel would help... Thanks

A good hotel with a five year old? Probably one close to the Colusseum and Forum are good places for five year olds to explore. I have only stayed at the Imperiale on the Via Veneto but don't know if I'd pick that spot to stay at with a small child.

Bring a travel journal. You can both take notes on the different places in there and she can draw pictures of the things she sees.

Don't overdo the excursions. Limit them to two- three hours. That's about the attention span of a small child. Make sure to seek out public parks, sliding boards, etc. There is a great park in Rome for example.

As for traveling with a five year old. I would buy the portable DVD player or bring a laptop computer.

The cruise will be great for her. She'll love it. There won't be a ton of kids but enough that she'll have some playmates.

Chewing gum for ears on planes. Bonine for seasickness.

Hi! Welcome to CruiseCritic!

We've cruised five times with our kids (ages 2 through 7 at the various times). We're taking our first European cruise in April with a 4 and 8 year old. We've taken them to Europe on land trips before. I've done a TON of research, so...if you give me an idea of where you are going, and when, I might be able to make some suggestions...

Thanks for the response Rebeccalouise. Already invested in the nintendo DS and plan on spending this summer reading books on Italy and Spain.

I had some of these tips already in mind from previous trips with her. I am already having a hard time thinking of limiting the time of my shore excursions to 2-3 hours considering the travel time to the sites. I always like to push the envelop. She has spent her life traveling to the caribbean and handles it well. This is definately another cup of tea for her, my husband and I. We weren't going to take her, but the price was so good that I could resist.

Is an umbrella stroller a silly thought?

I&MsMom ---I actually joined the sight after reading your thread on the pre-post rome. If you can give me post cruise info about the excursions and kids tolerance of the excursions/tours. Also the kid's dress codes.

We are scheduled for next year summer. I am just a freak about early planning. I want to really have a clear picture. Once I get there I don't want to have to budget, I want to pick up some great souviners. Unfortunately, some teachers don't get paid in the summer.

Let me know your itinerary- that way I can make some suggestions. I am going on the Millenium Barcelona- Venice with my six year old in July. So, I relate. We are doing Pompeii, we are doing an all day Cinque Terre excursion. But I think he'll enjoy it. Also, we are doing the bus into Rome and then will hoof it on our own. There is much to see and do there of course. I am doing the rest of the ports...Villefrance, Dubrovnik, Santorini, and Athens on my own. I don't want to have to be wedded to a schedule because we might need some downtime. Other posters have said not to plan all day excursions everyday- maybe every other day.

As for an umbrella stroller- if she fits in one- bring it. Can't hurt. I had trouble finding one in Europe when the wheels were falling off mine.

I am booked to go on my first cruise to Europe (been on several to the caribbean). I am taking my five year old, this will be her first cruise ever. I am looking to tips on clothing to pack, places to visit, and any other helpful info. I want to to a pre and post stay in Rome. So, any tips on a hotel would help... Thanks

Five years ago, our family of four stayed at Hotel Paba (www.hotelpaba.com) which occupies one floor on Via Cavour, two blocks from the Forum, beyond which is the Coliseum. It was a very pleasant little place run by a lady who speaks very good English. Local friends found it for us, but I later learned that Rick Steves recommends Hotel Paba in his books.

We stayed in the "happy family room" (called the "twin room" in the photo section of the web site) which included two single beds pushed together, a rollaway for bed for my 3-yo daughter (she had her 3rd birthday there), and a separate small room where my 7-yo son slept. There are smaller rooms as well. Continental breakfast is included and the room has a small refrigerator. The area of the hotel is very tourist-oriented with several casual restaurants, a small grocery, and an internet cafe within a block or two.

Our visit was not part of a cruise, we flew in. Touring the major Roman sites (plus Ostia Antica) with a 7-yo and a 3-yo was no trouble at all. We did borrow a stroller from neighbors of our friends. It was August, so lots of shops/restaurants were closed and the humidity could be deadly. I think I changed my clothes every day before dinner.

Lee

I definately want to pick up some glass in venice so maybe leaving her on the ship for a couple of hours might be the right choice. do the stores stay open late??

She wanted a stroller in Disney but then there were hundreds of other kids in strollers. I would just hate to lug it. I've got to try some test runs with it this summer at some of the amusement parks or a trip to the city.

I think that I can break up the all day excursions. I think it might be worth it to use a beach day in sicily.

Your daughter is five and probably will be fine. I didn't have a stroller with me when my son was five. I just paced our walks. We would do some sightseeing and then as a reward we would go to a playground. They have them in every city- worldwide. So, this made it fun for him and me too. It is amazing how kids have boundless energy when they are on the playground but hate to walk. So, I rewarded my son with little purchases here and there. He loves to travel because I make things fun for him and it sounds like you do the same with your daughter.

As for Venice, it is a great place to take kids. There is no fear of them falling in the water (my initial fear). There are no cars- so they can roam around without fear.

As for shopping. The stores are always open. It is a tourist mecca. If you have time, take the ferry to Burano (not Murano- the glass factory). Burano is a little miniture Venice but more relaxing and less crowded. The shops are better there too. Your child will enjoy this. Buy her a little Venetian doll- they have porcelin faces and are dressed like jesters. Very beautiful.

I'm debating the stroller issue, also. We NEVER use one at home, but I can envision it coming in handy.

We did an Italian & greek cruise when DD was nearly 5YO. Bought an inexpensive umbrella stroller. She loved it - we walked EVERYWHERE and she never would have made it otherwise. With all the excitement, we'd usually find her something she wanted to eat somewhere for lunch and afterward she'd crash and burn in the stroller taking a good 1 to 1.5 hour nap (even though she rarely napped at home or preschool). That meant DH and I could have a nice sit-down meal at a nice restraurant and sit long enough to make it worthwhile!

THe stroller we had had a small mesh basket just below the seat - which was also VERY handy.

However there are alot of steps and not always alot of curb cuts.

Let me know your itinerary- that way I can make some suggestions. I am going on the Millenium Barcelona- Venice with my six year old in July. So, I relate. We are doing Pompeii, we are doing an all day Cinque Terre excursion. But I think he'll enjoy it. Also, we are doing the bus into Rome and then will hoof it on our own. There is much to see and do there of course. I am doing the rest of the ports...Villefrance, Dubrovnik, Santorini, and Athens on my own. I don't want to have to be wedded to a schedule because we might need some downtime. Other posters have said not to plan all day excursions everyday- maybe every other day.

As for an umbrella stroller- if she fits in one- bring it. Can't hurt. I had trouble finding one in Europe when the wheels were falling off mine.

What are the dates of your Millenium cruise? We are traveling on the Millenium June 30 and will have my son that will have just turned 7 along with my two daughters. I was concerned about there being enough other children on board for them to socialize with, having only done Bermuda, Caribbean and Panama Canal.

Depending on what your daughter likes and how much you want to spend... My recommendation for a girl is to buy her a charm bracelet in Venice and start collecting gold charms. I also bought some inexpensive glass charms in Venice. I have quite a collection. This might be a good time for her to get started on collecting tiny charms from all of the places you are going. Italy is known for its gold and I got good deals in Italy. The hotel I recommend in Venice if you are staying over is the Sofitel Venezia.

My two sons and I have gold chains from our trip to Italy. We purchased four St. Christopher medalians in Italy and we all still wear them around our necks everyday. St. Christopher (no longer actually considered a Saint) was the protector of travelers. These are sentimental and among our fondest possessions.

Barcelona is full of pick pockets. I was robbed of my camera and change purse in a video arcade along Las Ramblas. BE VERY WATCHFUL OF YOUR BELONGINGS!

In Naples I recommend taking the cruise tour of Pompeii. Not many people speak English in Naples and it would be best to stick with a tour. Pompeii might be a bit boring for her but she can run around and explore to her hearts content.

In Livorno I am doing the Cinque Terre tour. Have not done this but should be very spectacular. If you haven't been to Florence yet, then go there by all means. There is a castle there owned by the Medici family that was fun to explore. Gold is a bargain in Santa Croce area of Florence.

Never been to Messina or Dubrovnik but we are going to Dubrovnik on our cruise in July. Will update you after that.

Enjoy your European adventure!

What are the dates of your Millenium cruise? We are traveling on the Millenium June 30 and will have my son that will have just turned 7 along with my two daughters. I was concerned about there being enough other children on board for them to socialize with, having only done Bermuda, Caribbean and Panama Canal.

There weill be kids on board but not as many as on Caribbean and Alaska sailings. Don't worry, even on the two week Transatlantic cruise I did on the Millenium in May of 2005- there were 30 kids. I expect there will be at least 50 or more in June. The nice thing is that they will lump different age groups together if there aren't enough kids in the 7-9 range. So your kids will have a great time. Plus, because you will be busy by day for the most part- the kids aren't going to spend quite as much time in Fun Factory. But the whole family will love Millenium. I can't wait to return to her on July 24th. Sorry we aren't on the same cruise.

Archived