Tour Guides for Turkey

twscott1961

Still looking for ideals of tour guides. I noticed that Ekol and Meander travel was mentioned in some posts. Any comments? Ramandan starts 9/12. Will that effect any touring in Turkey and Egypt?

We were in Egypt during Ramadan. It can definitely affect your tour plans. Basically, during Ramadan everything starts closing about 3 PM, so people can get home and start making their "breakfast" meal. They pretty much had to herd our group out of the Egyptian museum! Also it affects your choice of places to eat as many restaurants are closed during the day.

You should check it out carefully with your guide.

Have a GREAT cruise!

We are planning to book a tour with Ekol Tours in Turkey based on recommendations from other CCers. We emailed the company with a couple of questions and received replies very promptly.

http://www.ekoltravel.com

People say that Ephesus is not to be missed so we plan on seeing that as well as the Temple of Artemis (one of the seven wonders of the ancient world).

Kathy

We were in Turkey last August and Levin was our guide. His email addres is primy@tnn.net. I can't say enough about how wonderful he was. There were 8 of us traveling together and he was able to make all of us very happy. He met the boat in Ephusus and then again in Istanbul. We toured three days with him. He is wonderful!

Hi to Everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the ideals of tour guides. I think we have that covered. Any ideals of must-sees would be great. He has made great suggestions for the ports. We want to make sure that we don't miss anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

We toured Istanbul with him in 2005 (group from Royal Princess of 12), we were the only ones who had previously been there. We found his name by doing searches on these boards. At one time he was voted the #1 tour guide in Turkey, and having spent the day with him it is easy to see why. He met us at the pier with a sign containing my name. He ushered us to an airconditioned van with driver and we were off for a wonderful day. His prices were very reasonable and he even spent time taking members of our group to the Grand Bazaar and introducing them to responsibile merchants. (For us this was pure entertainment, as we were not interested in purchasing anything.) He was very patient and wonderful throughout.

I cannot recommend him highly enough, he is terrific. His email (from his card at that time ) is primy@turk.net. I had read on some threads that during the summer he had some major email problems, but you could always do a search.

If you do get him, he is very busy, please send our regards, Jay and Shannon Gardner from Sonoma, CA.

Regards, and Good Luck,

Shannon

P.S. Istanbul and Ephasus are two of our favorite ports, enjoy!

Archived