Horseback Riding in Grand Turk????

shann

My family and I booked the horseback riding excursion in Grand Turk. Has anyone every done this and if so, how was it? What should we wear? We are experienced riders who wear jeans and boots which I am sure won't work in the water. PLEASE HELP!! Thanks!!!!:)

My husband and I went on this excursion last July and loved it! We just wore shorts and t shirts (it was REALLY hot)- with bathing suite underneath- for the riding part and then they let you change into a bathing suit for the water part. The riding part is actually just walking so I don't think jeans or boots are necessary. They let the horses run through the water which comes up to the saddle so you need a bathing suit for that. Grand Turk is BEAUTIFUL-have fun!

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if this excursion is ok for novice riders. I'm experienced, but my fiance has only done a few group trail rides (all walking). Also, do they require helmets? Thsnk to anyone who can help.

• 3 weeks later...
Just wondering if this excursion is ok for novice riders. I'm experienced, but my fiance has only done a few group trail rides (all walking). Also, do they require helmets? Thsnk to anyone who can help.

I would really love to know an answer to this question if anyone knows it. I am a complete beginner, and my husband has gone a few times, but not in years. I love horses and think that this would be the highlight of my trip, but I wanted to check with people to see if this was too advanced for me!

Just in case someone does jump in to answer... here's another question. :) From reading about the excursion it seems that they definitely change the saddles to go into the water. That makes perfect sense to me...my question is do they re-saddle with something else, or do you go bareback?

Cruisekitty- just in case no one knows... my instinct is that it's probably OK for beginners, I just was curious. Most group rides in tourist locations are geared towards beginners and won't allow anything but a walking ride. That said, I went on one "tourist" ride in South Africa, and let me tell you, it was a wild one for sure! Lots of running, the "trail" was not exactly clear, and the guide kept warning us to stay on the "trail" so our horses wouldn't get bitten by snakes!

I've never been to Grand Turk but did a swimming excursion in Jamaica. I started as a terrified inexperienced rider and the excursion people were very patient and the horses very gentle. I loved it and conquered my fear of riding. The riding in the ocean was amazing and something I'll never forget. I think this excursion may be similar.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived