railroad tickets how far in advance?

Liza555

How far in advance should you purchase Railroad tickets from Anchorage to Whittier for May 20th time frame?

Are you given specific seats when you purchase the tickets? Can you choose your seats, and if so, which side should you choose?

Thanks,

Liza

How far in advance should you purchase Railroad tickets from Anchorage to Whittier for May 20th time frame?

Are you given specific seats when you purchase the tickets? Can you choose your seats, and if so, which side should you choose?

Thanks,

Liza

I purchased our tickets for late August about a month ago. I did it through the website and it did not give me an option to choose seat locations. The confirmation page states "Coach - Ticketless".

book your tickets when your plans are firm. The train does sell out. Seats are assigned and you can not request seating. There is a dome car to consider sitting in if you are on the left side of the train facing the engine, the right side gets the Arm views. There is a 30 min. limit if people are waiting, but I have often just switched around seats and rode most of the way. Also the vestibules are sometimes open.

Archived