Waimea vs. north coast of Kauai?

puablo

Another recent Kauai post got me thinking about my only real remaining decision to make for my upcoming NCL PoH cruise, so I thought I'd ask for advice.

We're going to be renting from Thrifty for both days in Kauai and parking by the ship overnight (intending to get a parking pass early in the morning of course). Our plans are simple: One day drive to the end of the road in Waimea Canyon, work our way back, get in a short hike on the canyon rim, stop at Poipu on our way back to the ship. The other day, drive to the end of the road on the north coast, see Ke'e Beach, Hanalei, etc., work our way back through Princeville hitting beaches on our way back to the port.

So the decision that I need to make is - which day should I go to Waimea and which day should I go to the north coast? With a 2pm departure, obviously the second day will be significantly shorter. I can't decide which of these sections of the island I should postpone to the second day. Right now I am leaning towards the north coast on day 1, and if I get back to port with time to spare then go on down to Poipu. And then just blast over to Waimea on day 2 and stay there as long as I can. Anyone have any advice on this?

We originally planned to do both on the same day... Didn't work! I have read at least one post where the cruiser did this, but I had my parents (65/75) with me so I'm blaming them for slowing me down :p

We went all the way to the end of the road on the north coast on the first day. We had stops at a garden, the lighthouse (the highlight of our trip to Kauai), the lookout at Hanalei, a dry cave and a wet cave around Hanalei and the Opaekaa Falls. We stopped for lunch at the Princeville Resort ($100 for four -- yikes -- but what a fabulous view!), and had pit stops at Safeway (parents) and Walmart (parents) on the way back. We made it back to the Thrifty rental site by five. We met another group there who had driven to the Canyon and said that it was clouded in -- they saw nothing! So turns out, we picked the right trip, and it was better for us that we didn't rush it to make it to the canyon.

The ship has a canyon excursion on the second day, which we tried to join, but it was fully booked. So we have to go back to Kauai to see the Canyon (oh darn!). Since the trip has an excursion that day, it must be a "doable" drive. I wouldn't recommend the north coast drive for the second day -- at least, not all the way to Hanalei. I think your plans for the north coast on day one are the best! Enjoy your trip :D

PDAZ,

I found myself in the same dilemma as you......decided to take the NCL

Waimea Canyon tour on the 2nd day....7:00am to 12pm.

This way my hubby had a break from driving and I wasn't worried about getting back to the ship in time!

1st day we are heading to the North Shore, and hoping to see as much as possible. Hope that this was helpful. janis

I would recommend you do the north shore all the way to Ke'e the first day as there are many stops you will want to make along the way. There is no way I would attempt that and try to get the rental car back in time to get on the ship by 2 pm ( and 2pm means 2 pm......they will leave you).

We just got back from the POH and we did the NaPali Explorer the first day which had us back to the ship at 2:30 and we then rented a car and went to the end of the road at Ke'e to enjoy the sunset.

Day 2 we went to Opaeka Falls which is pretty close to the port ( didnt have a ton of water, so it wasnt that great to see), then we went to Poi'pu Beach, which was great for the kids. ( there was a Monk Seal sleeping on the beach).

I really wanted to see the Waimea Canyon too, but it seems like it clouded up both days in the late morning/early afternoon.

Thanks everyone for the advice, sounds like north coast on Day 1 is a no-brainer. I do have two questions for those who went to Kauai via NCL:

- what time did you have to be back on the ship at the end of Day 1?

- what time were you allowed to get off the ship at the beginning of Day 2?

We docked at 7 or 8am on the first day. You do not have to be on board by any specific time on the first day.....its come/go as you please at anytime. You can also leave the boat at anytime thru the night.........

Just need to be back to the boat by 2pm on day 2.

Oh wow, that's good to know! I was under the impression (thanks to unhelpful NCL folk) that we had to be on the ship overnight. To be able to come and go as we please will be great. Maybe I'll just leave at sunrise for Waimea. Now I'm *really* glad I booked my car for two days via Thrifty instead of NCL!

Oh wow, that's good to know! I was under the impression (thanks to unhelpful NCL folk) that we had to be on the ship overnight.

I called NCL with the same question about Maui and was also told I had to be on the ship overnight. Not true!

Archived