Kauai help

crusader

We have two days in this garden island.

What do you consider the highlights or must sees.

Is the fern grotto near Waimea Canyon. Where is the Wailua River.

Does anyone have a two day plan to suggest.

Thanks

Well, everyone's different and has different interests. I don't know what yours are. I'll tell you what my friend and I did when we stayed on the island for a week two years ago. First, we spent time in the southern part of the island (Po'ipu). We went to Spouting Horn, which was fun. We also love sea glass. So, we went to Glass Beach. Let me know if you're also interested in sea glass and I'll give you the info on where to get the MOST sea glass you've ever seen in your life. We went to Kipu Falls, where my son and my friend took a flying leap off the cliff into the water below. I got a picture! We also went to Wailua Falls. I think that's the waterfall they used for the show, Fantasy Island ("Da plane, Boss, da plane!"). We took a helicopter ride over the island, which was phenomenal! Then, we moved up to the northern part of the island and stayed in Anahola. We went to Moloa'a Bay Beach (where we spent the day with two Monk Seals), Larsen's Beach, Anini Beach, Secret Beach, Princeville and Princeville Beach, Hanalei Bay, and Ha'ena, where my son was camping. As you can see, we are beach/snorkel people. Let me know if any of this sounds interesting to you and I'll give you more information. Basically, we snorkeled every day. We saw caves in Ha'ena, ate at some great restaurants in Hanalei, Kapa'a, and Po'ipu. Fun, fun, fun!

Is the fern grotto near Waimea Canyon. Where is the Wailua River.

No -- the fern grotto/Wailua River are north from where the ship docks, and Waimea Canyon is west. The river isn't too far from the ship -- maybe 20 minutes or so.

As for recommendations -- it really depends on your taste. We really liked the lighthouse; there's a bird sanctuary there and spectacular views of cliffs covered with birds! It's also the only place that we saw Hawaiian geese on our trip.

I don't have a two-day plan to suggest, but I will tell you that the Fern Grotto has been closed for a year due to rain/landslide damage and I believe it is just about to re-open. Apparently they will no longer allow people right into the grotto but instead onto a nearby observation deck.

A must do is the helicopter tour over the island. You will not believe the incredible beauty you will see. It still leaves me speechless just thinking about our flight.

Have fun

Cindy

Archived