Vision of the Seas & Midnight Buffet

We're going on our first cruise (I'm so excited we received our documents today!!!!), and have heard about chocolate buffets or midnight buffets. Do they do something like this on the Vision? I've seen pictures, from other ships and it's AMAZING work. I'd love to see it if it happens.

Thank you!

We're going on our first cruise (I'm so excited we received our documents today!!!!), and have heard about chocolate buffets or midnight buffets. Do they do something like this on the Vision? I've seen pictures, from other ships and it's AMAZING work. I'd love to see it if it happens.

Thank you!

Yes, they do indeed have a midnight Gala buffet. It will be on the second formal night. You must be doing an Alaskan cruise so your Gala buffet will be on Wednesday day 6. We did this cruise last August and you are in for a treat. Alaska is beautiful!

Mike

We just came from the Vision (Alaska, May 11). The chocolate buffet was very nice. It was on Day 4 ("smart casual" night), and they called it the Sweet Indulgence Buffet. It was nice, but rather small. The Midnight Buffet was on Day 6 (2nd formal night), and it is called the Gala Buffet. You get to take pictures from 11:30pm to 12:15am, and then it opens for eating at 12:30am. The various art work done from bread and sugar and fruits was incredible. We took lots of pictures, but didn't stay to eat. Our waiters had already advised us that it was long on decoration and short on taste -- and it was a total madhouse with everyone trying to navigate through to get stuff.

We have posted pics of the trip (including the buffet) at http://new.photos.yahoo.com/vdooblu_fj/album/576460762402067840. We haven't gotten much labeled yet (we just got in late last night), but the buffets should be pretty obvious.

Teejer

Thank you very much for the input on the buffets Teejer. We're also from the SF Bay area, so it's always nice to see a local face. Since you were just there, on formal night would you say that most people were very formal or more of a relaxed formal because of the location? I hope you had good weather, and a great time! (I haven't yet looked at your pictures, but I'm just about to...thank you for posting the link) ETA: The pictures are wonderful, I love them and I have a better idea of what we're in for. The picture of the two of you in Prince Rupert with the bald eagle is really fun, thank you for sharing your pictures. My DS was looking over my shoulder and he wanted to see all of the pictures of the ship and the ice. He was very excited when I told him that was going to be our ship, and asked me to buy him a model just like the one in the picture...I'll have to see if I can find an affordable substitute for the one in the glass case.

Thank you!

The formal nights were a bit of a mix. Most of the men were in suits, and many of the women in gowns, but there weren't a lot of tuxes. I was in a tux, but Mark was just in a dark suit. To be quite honest with you, I didn't pay that much attention. I didn't see anyone that really looked out of place.

I think the weather was good. It was sunny and nice in Juneau, and kinda gray all the other days -- but it fit the scenery, if that makes any sense.

There were models of the ship in the stores for $25. :)

Hope you have a great time!!!

Teejer

Thank you very much for the response. I'm actually making my dress (think Audrey Hepburn) and the vest and tie from my husband's tux and I wasn't sure it would fit in from the mixed reviews I've heard about formal night being more casual on the Alaskan cruises.

My little man loved the ship model, so I know what we're bringing him from the ship. I showed my DH the model as well and he now wants one for his desk, he's such a big kid.

My DH just got back from camping yesterday and we spent quite a bit of time reading your review and looking at your pictures, and we're even more excited to leave. It's taking forever for that day to come, and the anticipation is awful.

Thank you!

Archived