Best/Worst Caribbean Ports of Call

We toured both St. Thomas and St Martin/St Maarten by 4 wheeler.

St. Thomas was OK if you had a pair of horse blinders on, we found that going from one attraction to the other the island was littered with garbage. Down right filth, pretty close to a dump. We drove from the shopping area to Magens Bay to the Top of the Mountain, all three were clean.

Absolutely loved St Martin/St Maarten - great beaches and the best shopping

Not too crazy about St Thomas because of the US customs fiasco there (the ship's port shopper listed it as the best for shopping, but we found better bargains in St Martin and Cozumel)

Have to agree with you. The island was paradise, we're getting ready for a return trip for a week just at St. Martin. Just gorgeous!

The only place we never get off the ship anymore is Jamaica...especially Ocho Rios. I think that the cruise line excursions are better to take in Ocho Rios...but some of the tours are worse than to nowhere. Dunn River Falls is worth going to...but beyond that we have not found anything else.

Favourites are Costa Rica (Limon), and, Panama! The canal, partial or transit, is an amazing journey. Cristobal (Colon) Panama is worth the stop for the "Flea Market"...which just means it is the indigenous people's market...is not air conditioned...and has the most amazing art and crafts!

Next on the list are Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

But hey...really how bad can any place a cruise ship goes be?

Tom&Deb:)

Favorite: Montego Bay, Jamaica. :D We had a blast. We went to Sunset Beach which was amazing, then on to Margaritaville, then to the shops. The drug offers didn't really bother me and I was never *scared* like a lot of people are saying.

Least favorite: Calica. You dock in the middle of nowhere, have to take a taxi into town or wherever you are going. When we did get into town all the shops were a lot like my local mall.

Archived