Wave Runner Stingray City Adventure

missliad

I have this excursion booked through Island Marketing for our trip in July. I'll post a full review then. But, there's a few others on this board that have done this and have posted positive reviews. If you do a search on waverunners you will find the threads.

This May 07, We had a great time on the waverunners- One guide and 5 waverunners was the best part- Rennele our guide was able to spend time with each of us as we got up close and personal with the sting rays- Large excursion boats offloaded at least 30 -40 passengers at the sand bar- we thought the time spent with the stingrays and one stop snorkeling and the 1 hour on the waverunners was plenty.

We did this tour through Island Marketing last month and had a blast! The tour does only last about 2 hours, and we would have loved to have had more time on the waverunners, but since Cayman is one of the shorter port days, we were glad to have the time for lunch and some shopping before catching the last tender in.

There were only 6 of us on our tour, compared with the HUGE cattle boats we saw at Stingray City...we would never do it another way!

I am looking for feedback from people who have done this excursion. How did you like it? It says it lasts 2 hours only - seems like a short time. Thanks in advance!

I did this tour the week of May 14-18th. I believe the exact day was Tuesday the 15th. We had a great time. You have to get your own ride to the resort which is about $6 pp. I have seen other posts where people have paid $4 to $10 but the avg is $6, don't sweat it, your on vacation, pay what you need to pay, and helps to ask the driver b4 you get in "how much its going to be" as there are no meters in the cabs like in the US. Arrived at the resort 1 hr early due to the ship time and Grand Cayman time, they stay on Eastern time, so keep that in mind when getting to the resort. Its about a 15 20 min ride from the port, depending on traffic.

We had the 11 to 1pm tour as we didn't want to rush and play the "who gets off the ship 1st" game as some say only shipped booked excursion's get priority off the ship 1st. We were one of the 1st groups off as they do not check at the gangway. We had the tender boat number stickers but was not even asked about it. We had some time to walk around town b4 going out to the resort, as there is not much at the resort to do. They do have a pool and some lounge chairs but the there is not really a beach to go to as its very rocky at the resort.

The tour b4 ours was a little late coming back, but they do try to stay on schedule usually. Our group was very small, just 1 other couple from the RCCL ship and the 3 of ous. We suited up and assigned our jet skies and we were off. They do give a short operating instruction show and tell b4 going out, but i think since our group was so small and they were running behind it was cut very short.

1 st stop was stingray city, where you get off the waverunners and get into the water with the stingrays. Its really an experience that you must try and will enjoy. Talk of Steve Erin, Crocodile Hunter, did come up but the guides assured it was very safe and the he did something that you shouldn't do in the the 1st place. The water is only about 1 to 2 ft deep so its not that bad. We had nice weather contrary to the other post in this thread.

We were there about 30 to 45 mins...the guides will hold and pick up and feed the rays, and its really alot of fun. You can even feed the ray if you want, they show you how..its all very safe. There will be tons of other boats there and lots of people..makes you feel good about how you got there:).

Next is off to a private resort, its just a stop to use the restroom and get a bite to eat/drink if you want. We stayed about 20 mins as we had to catch the tender back to the ship so time was running low, but the guides assured us that there is nothing to worry about, we will make it with plenty of time.I think the main reason for stopping here is this is where they refuel the waverunners.

From the resort its like 20-30 mins back to the starting resort. A very funfilled tour and def worth doing. Just keep in mind there are situations where things cannot be controlled ie weather, coming back the water got

really rough and couldn't go that fast so these are the things to keep in mind when you doing anything on the water and deal with the weather. It can change at any time, as it was beautiful going to Stingray City and the resort, but got very rough going back.

Defiantly worth it and would do it again without any hesitation.

Any questions please feel free to ask..

• 2 weeks later...

Positive:

Small group--our guide was great at Sting Ray City, absolutely the envy of every group around. Our group of 11 circled around him, he would dive down and get a ray, he instructed us how to hold it, feed it and generally interact with it. We all had the opportunity for photos and to do what we wanted. He released the first, older ray, and then brought us a smaller one. He showed me a spot on the ray where it looked bruised. Said it was probably in a fight, or some person stepped on it.

The tour before ours was a little late coming back, but they must not have had one scheduled after ours, because at Sting Ray City the guide asked us all what time our last tenders were--we actually got an extra hour out of the package.

Negatives:

The guide will assume you are comfortable with the waverunner. We had a very limited instructional period and it was very windy so it was difficult to hear. At the end he shouted "we are going 4 1/2 miles that way, stay 50 feet apart from each other or 200 feet behind each other" and off he went with us following. I had a time getting on the waverunner both at the beginning of the tour and also at StingRay City and that was when I was standing up in 4 feet of water. If I'd have fallen off in the open water, I don't know how I'd have gotten back on and he was so far in front of us, he wouldn't have known I'd fallen off for a LONG time.

FYI:

You will need some type of sandal of beach shoe to access the waverunners. The first 10 steps are very rocky, the next 10 steps are very grassy, and the last 10 steps are some funky spongey feeling. But, you can't wear shoes at Sting Ray City.

If it is windy that means the water will be choppy, we had quite the ride.

We paid $6 per person for our taxi each way. When we got off of the ship, we went to the building at the taxis and asked for help. The woman inside screamed (yes, she did) for our driver to come and get us. We dropped people off along the way at Sea Grape, etc. After you are done with the tour, your guide will call a taxi for you. A group of seven of us shared the ride back--still $6 per person. Our driver wanted us all to have towels since we were wet.

There is a somewhat "waterproof" compartment on the waverunner--some had success with it and others not. The guides will also let you keep stuff in their locked "shack" while you are gone.

BIG FYI:

The currency exchange rate is favorable to the Caymans--I think we were told 80 cents for a dollar. When we paid American $ at the bar on the stop, we were given Cayman $ as change. We were told, much later, to take small bills and ask in advance for American $ as change. One guy in our group paid for the cab with his Cayman $.

Positive:

Small group--our guide was great at Sting Ray City, absolutely the envy of every group around. Our group of 11 circled around him, he would dive down and get a ray, he instructed us how to hold it, feed it and generally interact with it. We all had the opportunity for photos and to do what we wanted. He released the first, older ray, and then brought us a smaller one. He showed me a spot on the ray where it looked bruised. Said it was probably in a fight, or some person stepped on it.

The tour before ours was a little late coming back, but they must not have had one scheduled after ours, because at Sting Ray City the guide asked us all what time our last tenders were--we actually got an extra hour out of the package.

Negatives:

The guide will assume you are comfortable with the waverunner. We had a very limited instructional period and it was very windy so it was difficult to hear. At the end he shouted "we are going 4 1/2 miles that way, stay 50 feet apart from each other or 200 feet behind each other" and off he went with us following. I had a time getting on the waverunner both at the beginning of the tour and also at StingRay City and that was when I was standing up in 4 feet of water. If I'd have fallen off in the open water, I don't know how I'd have gotten back on and he was so far in front of us, he wouldn't have known I'd fallen off for a LONG time.

FYI:

You will need some type of sandal of beach shoe to access the waverunners. The first 10 steps are very rocky, the next 10 steps are very grassy, and the last 10 steps are some funky spongey feeling. But, you can't wear shoes at Sting Ray City.

If it is windy that means the water will be choppy, we had quite the ride.

We paid $6 per person for our taxi each way. When we got off of the ship, we went to the building at the taxis and asked for help. The woman inside screamed (yes, she did) for our driver to come and get us. We dropped people off along the way at Sea Grape, etc. After you are done with the tour, your guide will call a taxi for you. A group of seven of us shared the ride back--still $6 per person. Our driver wanted us all to have towels since we were wet.

There is a somewhat "waterproof" compartment on the waverunner--some had success with it and others not. The guides will also let you keep stuff in their locked "shack" while you are gone.

BIG FYI:

The currency exchange rate is favorable to the Caymans--I think we were told 80 cents for a dollar. When we paid American $ at the bar on the stop, we were given Cayman $ as change. We were told, much later, to take small bills and ask in advance for American $ as change. One guy in our group paid for the cab with his Cayman $.

Thanks so much for the tips :) We have this booked for July.

Everyone tipped the tour guides at the end...

Oh, yeah one more wave runner tip... the salt water really burned our eyes--we wore sunglasses. one of the other guys in our group had the same problem until he took out his snorkeling mask for the return trip--he said it helped a lot.

EarlandVesta: We have bought the goggles already and swim shoes, can't stand the thought of walking on grassy stuff to get on the waverunner but I can do it with water shoes on so thanks again for that tip!

What time was your excursion? Ours is 9AM, how much time will we have afterwards? What do you think is a reasonable tip for the guides?

Thanks

EarlandVesta: We have bought the goggles already and swim shoes, can't stand the thought of walking on grassy stuff to get on the waverunner but I can do it with water shoes on so thanks again for that tip!

What time was your excursion? Ours is 9AM, how much time will we have afterwards? What do you think is a reasonable tip for the guides?

Thanks

We were at 11AM. We went to get in line for our tender at 9AM. Had a bit of a wait--can't remember how much. We didn't have to wait long for our taxi (van) to leave but it is quite a drive to the resort and we stopped twice along the way to drop off other passengers. We arrived at the resort 10:40 ish.

If there is an 11AM, your guides will push you to get back on time so you will have plenty of time afterwards. When you stop at the beach, they refuel the waverunners and you will have an opportunity to drink/snack. We bought drinks from the bar and went to the little shop next door and bought some chips since we weren't in the mood for a sandwich/burger, etc.

There's a pool at the resort and a place to eat, but we didn't spend any time there--just used the outdoor shower to clean off. We truly were exhausted afterward. (DH is 41, I'm 37--we're in pretty good shape). It was VERY windy the day we went.

We had two guides and tipped them $5 each. Don't know about the others...

I am looking for feedback from people who have done this excursion. How did you like it? It says it lasts 2 hours only - seems like a short time. Thanks in advance!

We did the wave runner and sting ray city in may. It was alot of fun. The price was great. It was pretty cloudy and even rained. We thought it was worth it. The ocean was rough and my arms were very sore the next day. So 2 hours was enough for me. We thought the same thing only 2 hrs.I took my 16 and 19 yr old boys my mother 62 and myself 43. booked it through island marketing alot cheaper than carnival stuff and if you want to you can just hangout at the gr caymain resort and use the pool if you want. lilke i said it was cloudy and we didn't want to swim or anything we called a taxi and went back to town and shopped a while then back on ship.

We were at 11AM. We went to get in line for our tender at 9AM. Had a bit of a wait--can't remember how much. We didn't have to wait long for our taxi (van) to leave but it is quite a drive to the resort and we stopped twice along the way to drop off other passengers. We arrived at the resort 10:40 ish.

If there is an 11AM, your guides will push you to get back on time so you will have plenty of time afterwards. When you stop at the beach, they refuel the waverunners and you will have an opportunity to drink/snack. We bought drinks from the bar and went to the little shop next door and bought some chips since we weren't in the mood for a sandwich/burger, etc.

There's a pool at the resort and a place to eat, but we didn't spend any time there--just used the outdoor shower to clean off. We truly were exhausted afterward. (DH is 41, I'm 37--we're in pretty good shape). It was VERY windy the day we went.

We had two guides and tipped them $5 each. Don't know about the others...

Thanks again! You have answered a lot of my questions :D

I heard that it was only a 15 minute ride to the resort. $6pp is a crazy price to pay for more than three people and then to have to drop others off along the way? Yes, I have been to the caymans. Got a taxi and they waited until it was all full, then dropped people off along the way. We kept saying we were on a schedule, and in turn, missed our excursion. I was p****d, but we got lucky and another outfit took us out. This "taxi" had to have about 25 seats. We paid $6pp, but I think we were on the bus. So, does the bus go to the resort? I would rather pay the 2.50 bus fare per person.

On another note, how were the waverunners compared to the jet boats? What were the drink and food prices like at the stop and the resort. Is the place worth hanging out at?

I heard that it was only a 15 minute ride to the resort. $6pp is a crazy price to pay for more than three people and then to have to drop others off along the way? Yes, I have been to the caymans. Got a taxi and they waited until it was all full, then dropped people off along the way. We kept saying we were on a schedule, and in turn, missed our excursion. I was p****d, but we got lucky and another outfit took us out. This "taxi" had to have about 25 seats. We paid $6pp, but I think we were on the bus. So, does the bus go to the resort? I would rather pay the 2.50 bus fare per person.

On another note, how were the waverunners compared to the jet boats? What were the drink and food prices like at the stop and the resort. Is the place worth hanging out at?

At the stop:

We thought the hot food prices were a little much for what you got, but can't really remember what they were. That's why we went next door, but it didn't realy have ANY selection.

At the Kaibo Yacht Club Beach Bar, I had a bananaberry daquari for $6.25 and my husband had a screwdriver for $5.25. I'm looking at our receipt right now and the register did the $ conversion. It says Liquor Sales: 11.50/ Total paid US $ 20/ Cash $16.00/change due $4.50 which was paid in Cayman $. We used $3.20 of the change and bought a can of Pringles at the little shop next door. Basically, we ended up paying $20 US for 2 drinks and a can of pringles and were left with $1.30 Caymanian as change(souvenier)

http://www.eandbcaymans.com/Cayman%20Kai.htm This link will take you to a Cayman's page. If you scroll about half way down there's a heading Kaibo Yacht Club and the picture right below it is the beach bar. The actual place to order drinks, etc, is right under where the white sign is hanging on the lower level. It is all open with tables, etc underneath or out on the sand. My DH says he could have spent 1/2 day there. I'm not sure doing what...it is just a place to sit and watch. There may have been some "action" around the property but we didn't venture away from the bar.

At the Grand Caymanian Resort, we didn't eat or drink. I saw the pool. On the way to our excursion, they were having some type of scuba-ish class in the pool. On the way back through, there wasn't anyone in the pool area.

We have never done this exact excursion, but we have done stingray city 3 times. I dont know how many people you are, but we were 6 people and chartered our own sailboat and captain for the day. It was great. (not too expensive, it ran about $420)

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to figure out if this tour is on wave runners or the neat little speedboats pictured on the website. Are these 2 different tours? The price I see on the website is $200 for the vehicle up to 4 passengers. Does this price also include entry into the Sting Ray City?

Thank you,

-AH

Archived