Monarch back-to-back cruise review

Hi everyone,

I've written another detailed cruise review.

This review is from the back-to-back 4 day and 3 day cruise on the Monarch of the Seas, which began on May 21, 2007. The review, which covers both cruises, the back to back experience, and the similarities and differences is 50 pages in total. :)

You can read the review here.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

The pictures will soon be on my website, so check back after this weekend.

Jen -

Your review (as always!) was fabulous!!!! I just love all the detail you go into, and appreciate the time you take to note everything so you can include it in your review.

I was glad to see a picture of Carol - Merion Mom :)

Thanks again for an amazing review!!!

Thanks so much for your comments on this btb trip.

Some of my family and I are doing this in July--the 4 night one first and then the 3 night one.

I was glad to find out that those who need to get off the ship early (self disembarking), should be ready and first in line!! We have a fairly early flight back home from the Long Beach airport (before noon), so I will be sure that we are ready and first in line!! I realize that the cab ride from the port to the LB airport is a short one, but I really don't want to miss my plane!!

I noticed that the golf cart you had on Catalina Island sat four people. That is good. A couple of us and me wanted to rent one while there but thought that they would only seat 2 people. If that had been the case, I would have to do my sight seeing with the rest. Now, I can go look around the island because there really isn't to much for an old lady like me to do around the Avalon area (I am 76 years young!!)

It sounds like you had a wonderful time. I know that I am looking forward to our trip on the Monarch!!

Marilyn

Wow, talk about detail! I was getting on board right as you were getting off it seems, on May 28 for the next 4-day. I think the captain must "lose" his keys every week...we got the same announcement. And I think Macy might have had a talking to...she was counting heads on our tour bus and actually left a little late trying to make sure everyone was on board. The onboard activities announcements didn't come into our room; we had to open the door to hear them. I wonder if there's some secret way to turn the speaker on or off in the cabin...

Jen -

Your review (as always!) was fabulous!!!! I just love all the detail you go into, and appreciate the time you take to note everything so you can include it in your review.

I was glad to see a picture of Carol - Merion Mom :)

Thanks again for an amazing review!!!

Hey Robin!!! :)

Long time no chat. Thanks so much for reading the review. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D

I have many more of Carol, but she'd strangle me if I put them in the review.

I think we're to start a thread called "what was I doing in this picture".

We had a great cruise!

Thanks so much for your comments on this btb trip.

Some of my family and I are doing this in July--the 4 night one first and then the 3 night one.

I was glad to find out that those who need to get off the ship early (self disembarking), should be ready and first in line!! We have a fairly early flight back home from the Long Beach airport (before noon), so I will be sure that we are ready and first in line!! I realize that the cab ride from the port to the LB airport is a short one, but I really don't want to miss my plane!!

I noticed that the golf cart you had on Catalina Island sat four people. That is good. A couple of us and me wanted to rent one while there but thought that they would only seat 2 people. If that had been the case, I would have to do my sight seeing with the rest. Now, I can go look around the island because there really isn't to much for an old lady like me to do around the Avalon area (I am 76 years young!!)

It sounds like you had a wonderful time. I know that I am looking forward to our trip on the Monarch!!

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

I'm glad that the pictures helped you out some. As I wasn't the one who personally rented the cart, I can't vouch for how much it was to rent, but it certainly is a great way to see the island.

Catalina is an easy day trip, one in which you can hit all of the highlights of the island in the day you're there. Its not like Rome or Venice, where you could spend a week and still not see everything.

Its a quaint, wonderful little island, full of romance and charm. I hope you enjoy your trip there.

Wow, talk about detail! I was getting on board right as you were getting off it seems, on May 28 for the next 4-day. I think the captain must "lose" his keys every week...we got the same announcement. And I think Macy might have had a talking to...she was counting heads on our tour bus and actually left a little late trying to make sure everyone was on board. The onboard activities announcements didn't come into our room; we had to open the door to hear them. I wonder if there's some secret way to turn the speaker on or off in the cabin...

OMG, Macy was your bus driver?? I'm so glad you made it back to the ship! Oh wow, what a small world.

I wish to god there was some way we knew whether or not we could turn off the speaker. I've seen a knob on other ships which controls the sound of your room speaker, but the Monarch does not have this feature.

Or perhaps guests asked Gavin nicely later that day to not wake them up with Bingo announcements!!!! :)

Your pictures were fabulous as always:D I'm doing the 4 nighter with 3 girlfriends Dec3 wanna join us? The cure for your PCD is to book five more! I've currently got 5 YES 5 cruises booked all the way through Jan 2009 so no PCD over here;)

Hi Karen! Oh thank you for checking out the pics and stuff. Your cruise does sound like fun, but that first week of December is not good for me, but thank you for thinking of me.

WOW! 5 cruises???? Yep, that'd cure PCD for sure! :)

Great review. Cannot wait to go for the 3 day cruise in November.

Thanks for reading the review. November is a great time for this cruise. I'd also done a review of our Nov 06 trip if you want to check it out. I know you're going to have a great time!!!! :D

Hey Jen,

Want some of our seasons? We have some rain to spare...;)

Fantastic review - I was late for work because I had to finish it, lol!:o

I really miss our whole gang, and would love to cruise with you again! It was great fun hanging out with you!:)

I was wondering about your seasons .... exactly how much does it rain up there???

Thanks for reading the review. Sorry you were late :o

We definitely have to sail together again! We'll be in touch! ;)

Here is what I got from BC Passport.com

Vancouver FastFacts

• Size: 113 sq. km.
  • Population: 560,000
  • Area Population: 2 million
  • Largest Port on the West Coast of North America

• Largest City in British Columbia
  • Third Largest City in Canada
  • Annual Rainfall: 1117 mm (44 inches) 10% of that during the summer months
    (For comparison: Seattle gets 36 inches a year and San Francisco 21 inches.)
  • Average Temperatures: 3°C (37.4°F) in January 18°C (64.4°F) in July.
  • Daylight: 16 hours in June / 8 hours in December.
  • Features: Vancouver is surrounded by water on three sides and is overlooked by the Coast Mountain Range with peaks above 1,500 m. (4920 feet)

Sometimes if feels as though all that rain falls in a day...:rolleyes:

Ummmm...Girl you had better be planning for some of this same service for us in September!!! ;) I need to make it out there some weekend and sail the Monarch with you!!

See you soon!! :)

Of course my dear :D

And don't worry, I'll get permission from all of my shipmates before using the pictures I've captured ;)

Sometimes if feels as though all that rain falls in a day...:rolleyes:

Good lord that's a lot of rain!

But at least you have seasons. Here its hard to tell what month it is. There is no "sweater weather" ..... and if it ever does rain, it takes me a month an a half to drive to work! :D

Hi....we are sailing on the Monarch in 2 weeks. We have sailed the 4 night a few times, but never the 3 night.....sooooo.....you did not mention if there is a formal night on the 3 night. Also, when was Danney coming back from vacation :( ?

Thanks for your great review!

Archived