McKinley Explorer, any advice?

gonnago

We will be on the Holland America's McKinley Explorer two different days. I have visited websites about the train, but does anyone have any personal advice about the experience and the food/times for eating onboard.

[I]"...First-time cruiser who is very, very excited....thanks to all of you!"[/I]

• 2 weeks later...
TravlnMom, here are two replies I received on the HAL forum. They helped me alot:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It was long, long ago, but here goes:
We boarded in the morning after breakfast (in Fairbanks), and arrived at Denali in time for lunch.
We headed to Anchorage the next day after lunch. There were three sittings for dinner. We were given the choice of times. There was a full menu, and the food was delicious!

In addition to what RuthC wrote, there should be a HAL "naturalist" on board drawing attention to the highlights as you move along. That person is somewhat a luck of the draw. One time had a very knowledgable old timer but just didn't know when to take a rest. Had an earache. Another time, had a young college student who had a reasonably good working knowledge of all the sights & very pleasant young lady. There tends to be
many college students hired for almost all kinds of touristy jobs. Most do real good..
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[I]"...First-time cruiser who is very, very excited....thanks to all of you!"[/I]

Archived