Enough time?

AwayInParadise

I'd probably not book an excursion through the ship...Grand Cayman is one of those rare places that you can get out and do your own thing. We always use Captain Marvin's for our snorkeling.

http://www.captainmarvins.com

What are the hours you are in port? And what time of year will you be in Grand Cayman?

If you're there from 7-4, you could probably do the morning stingray excursion and have them drop you at Royal Palms, and then just grab a cab back to the port area.

We were there over New Year's (we always go in Dec/Jan/Feb) and the weather was beautiful. There were some showers, but they came and went quickly. In fact, we welcomed an afternoon shower or two because it was hot! But at that time of year, it's warm but you don't have all the humidity. The water temp is also nice. We had no problems snorkeling or swimming.

If you can, I'd do a morning stingray tour and then ask if they'll drop you at 7MB. Then you can just grab a cab and go back to the port.

If you are leaving from Miami (or the eastern coast), ship time and island time will be the same during the time you are there. Captain Marvin's will know exactly what time your ship will be in port (island vs. ship time) and they can tell you which tour would work for you (and I'd imagine that all the other excursion companies would also know this).

I'd probably try and do a shorter tour...in the morning, and then go to the beach for lunch and sun.

Our first trip to GC was on a cruise ship and we were there from 7-4:30 (the last tender was at 3:45). We did an island tour from 8:30-10:30 and then walked to Captain Marvin's to do their 11:15-1:30 tour. After the tour, they dropped us at Rackham's for a late lunch. We barely had time to eat before we had to get back to the tender line. Looking back, I wished we would have skipped the morning island tour. That would have given us time for the beach (which we didn't get to do), and time to eat.

If CM's eary time doesn't work for you, there are plenty of other companies that offer snorkeling trips (Nativeway, Soto's, Captain Bryan's, just to name a few, have all been mentioned here with positive reviews). We've seen those big double-decker boats with tons of people on them. You really want to avoid those. My guess is they are the ones the cruise ships use. I seem to remember one having "Kirks" on the side. I've been here for years, and I don't recall ever reading about a local excursion not getting their passengers back to the port in time, so I'd feel comfortable in booking something on my own here.

Also, Captain Marvin's will hold your credit card number and not charge you until you arrive at their business. You can then charge your tour to your credit card, or pay cash. That way if the ship can stop at this port, you don't have to hassle with getting a refund for your excursion. I would imagine that most companies operate this way.

We love going to GC in the winter...especially around Christmas. I love seeing all the Xmas decorations on the homes and palm trees. We come from the midwest, so in the winter, we have ice and snow. We now only visit the island for land vacations because we really love going there. We wanted to be able to rent a car and explore the island (and be safe). You can't do that on too many Caribbean islands. :)

Captain Marvin's dock is located not too far from the Courtyard Marriott (you turn on the road right next to it), so you are toward the far end of 7MB and I am sure they will drop you wherever you want. Sea grape is right there, but if you go toward the port area, you'll pass Royal Palms...and I'm sure they'd drop you there.

If you have any concerns about the time isssues, e-mail Joan or Ruth. They'll tell you what excursion time will work best for you. At that time, I'd mention you want to be dropped somewhere along 7MB (after the excursion).

If you're looking for souvenirs, Captain Marvin's has a small gift shop area. There's also a shop next door that has really cool Xmas ornaments (shells), shirts, and things like that.

The one place to avoid on 7MB is Beach Club Colony. I've not read a single postive post about the place.

Have a wonderful time! :)

This is wonderful information and has helped a lot!

I have been emailing with Joan @ Capt Marvin's today and she is very helpful and willing to work with us to give us a great day!

They are nice people. Ruth helped us with info when we were looking for a condo to rent on the island.

Another thing...

Ruth gave me the name of a company that they use to videotape their snorkel excursions. I contacted them in advance and gave them the time and date of our excursion (I wanted to make sure they'd be on our excursion). I don't remember exactly what we paid for the DVD (maybe $65 or $70), but it is really cool. They delivered this to our condo the next day. For cruisers, they'll mail this to you. I don't know if you're interested in this or not, but I thought I'd pass it along.

VIP Productions, Cayman Islands

e-mail - vip@candw.ky

Archived