Safe without a guide?

AwayInParadise

We have our cruise booked for Christmas but we are debating if we should get off the ship or not. Each person who has something positive to say about Jamaica used a tour guide there, which we decided not to do. Has anybody who just took a taxi to the beach ever felt unsafe? I heard that as soon as you walk off the ship, the drivers are pulling you in every which direction so that you will ride with them. I know that tour guides will make the experience better but we just want to go relax on a beach without feeling harassed!

this is probably the one port we would not even consider without using a local guide. Although Jamaica is beautiful, it is extremely poor. we have never felt the slightest danger while with the guide we use when there, we would probably not even get off the ship if she was not available for us.... just my opinion....

I also would not get off without a local tour guide. We have used A-Z and this time we are using Marva Shaw. They can do custom tours at very reasonable rates. In fact with Marva we are just going to a shooping area and the beach and if I had paid the taxi fares the cost would have been close to the same.

You will love Marva Shaw. We just got back from our cruise and spent the day with Marva in Ocho Rios. She took us to Dunn's River Falls, a short shopping stop and then on to Reggae Beach. The beach was the best part of the day. We had the beach entirely to ourselves - it was amazing. They have a small bar which a few locals hang out at and you can get lunch (chicken and fresh fish). We went with our three kids and we never felt unsafe. It was amazing to get away from the tourist beaches and experience Jamaica. My daughter and I snorkeled the reef just off the beach.

Marva is a fantastic tour guide and lets you sit back, relax and enjoy your day. I think it would have cost the same if we had done this on our own. With Marva, there was no stress plus we learned so much about Ocho Rios.

Check out: www.knowjamaica.com - tell her Genia and Chad say hi!

Archived