Box Lunches

We are sailing on the AOS on the Aruba route. There is a group of 8 of us that are going to rent jeeps and do our own tour and was wondering if you can order a box lunch from the ship to take with us? A few years ago we went on a scuba diving excursion through the ship and they had boxed lunches for us. But wondered if this is only if you go on one of the ships excursions.

Im not 100% sure, but if I recall they will not allow you to take food off the ship in some ports do to health concerns, ie some fruit you bring may have a bug that is not on that island and will infest the island and kill vegitation.....my example might be a little extreme, but I would gather that is why.

But then again, I have put food in my bag and walked right off, no one ever knew. :)

DH had the box lunch on a scuba trip and said never again. we now take a beach bag with small cooler in the bottom and order fruit and sandwiches from the anytime room service menu. Works great and we know that the food was prepared recently as opposed to the day before or so. Throw in a couple bottles of cold water and you are off!

Fruit is a no-no in most of the ports and they will confiscate it if it is. But I do not remember if we had to go thru and searches in Aruba. Maybe you should ask this on the port of call boards. There are a few individuals there who are familiar with the ports

DH had the box lunch on a scuba trip and said never again. we now take a beach bag with small cooler in the bottom and order fruit and sandwiches from the anytime room service menu. Koozie Beach BagQUOTE]

How soon do you need to order them and do you bring your own foil/baggies to wrap the sandwiches up or will they do that for you?

I have taken food off the ship in my bag and never had a problem. However I don't take fruit. I've never cruised w/ RCL ( Sept will be my first woohoo)but from my experience with Carnival I can tell you that we had to order our sandwiches the nite before. Reason was that they were serving breakfast only. So I order PB and J , not my fave but I don't have to worry about it spoiling. We also get some cookies or brownies, yum. I take ziplock bags from home and put everything in it. I remember doing this in Cayman . On the way back from Capt Marvins we had our brownies, there were some jealous people staring at us. It hit the spot.

I did that same route on the AOS in April and seriously doubt you will be able to take food off the ship. My partner had a cup of coffee from the cafe and they made him throw it out into this bin right before the gangway, don't know what coffee could do to Aruba's ecosystem. There were alot of coffee cups and other food items in there so i guess if they see you with it they will make you throw it out.

Archived