Cruising with 15 month old advisable?

martdm

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience/advise to share on this.

We were going to wait until our son is a little older to go on a cruise but MIL really wants a family cruise and FIL is getting more and more physically challenged so it looks like it will have to be soon or it won't happen.

We're thinking a shorter cruise from close to home would be best so we're toying with a 4 day cruise from NYC to Canada that only has one port day (and it's in St. John which seems very stroller friendly in terms of the town and the excursions).

Can anyone assure me it's not too soon; that it won't be too difficult; that it won't be too hard on DS shaking up his routine that young? I'd really appreciate any info pro or con that you have!

Thanks!

My son sailed close to that age, 13 months. He did really well. Dinner in the dining room was pretty tough. We did a lot of room service or casual dining, but otherwise it was very smooth. He just got toted around wherever we went and was as happy as could be.

There are loads of threads all over this board (probably posted just a few posts above or below yours) that talks about cruising with baby.

Many of us started our kids cruising at younger than 1 and now have dedicated little cruisers at age 3.

So look for those posts. :D

We sailed with my DD at 7 months, 12 months and 19 months.

All were great. We ate in dining room with her every night and just removed her if she acted up. We went on Carnival and DD loved the singing and dancing and lights at dinner. At 19 months we even took her to a few shows and she liked them. Otherwise she would sleep in the stroller reclined and we would sit in the back in case she woke or we needed to leave.

She did great all cruises. We kept to her routine at home, same waking times, nap times, eating times, bed time etc. and just kept things flexible. She loved seeing all the people and ship itself. It was not as relaxing as pre-baby but defintely a fun family vacation.

You will have your in-laws there to help and give you a break also. I think you will find it is a very enjoyable way to travel with young kids.

Julie

Archived