What is latest time we can stay on PoAm ship at the end of cruise?

chemist661

Hi we were told 10 am was the last time off the Pride of America. As much as we loved the ship and the vacation, we were ready to go by 9ish that morning, even if it meant a longer wait in the airport. And the staff and crew of the ship are ready to clean and prep for the new group that comes in in the afternoon. One thing, while we were in our cabin on the last morning, doing the check to make sure we had everything, the crew started spraying down the ship and washing our balconies. We looked out and this giant spray of water from below was aimed at our sliding door and balcony deck. It was a good thing we had the balcony door closed and noone was on it at the time!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi in answer to your question about how long it took to get off the cruise ship, it was not long at all. We didn't go for the special options where they handle your luggage for you, we just rolled our rolling duffles out, went down the elevators and left the ship. It was probably about 10 minutes all together to get from our stateroom to the outside. Then we flagged down a cab (there are tons of cabs waiting for you) and got to the airport in maybe 15-20 minutes. It was no big deal, and I would save my money again in the future and not do that special handling option. When you get to the airport, you go thru the USDA line very fast and they xray your luggage (don't try to sneak anything) and then you go on your way to your airline to check in.

Ah, forgot about that USDA line. I remember that in Kona on our way home last year. Not a problem, just an extra step I had forgotten about. Thanks, for the info. This works for those who can handle their own luggage. I have a friend whose parents are elderly who may not want to handle their own luggage. I'll give him this information, though. Thanks again FabFam.

IluvHI: Most of the airlines do have curbside check in, including the porters taking all the checked bags through both the ag check and the regular TSA inspection. Most also charge a flat fee per bag because of the extra service. In the past, I've seen people check several large suitcases plus boxes of pineapple, but not bother to tip the porter. Bad idea. That's a fair amount of work because they can't just take the bags over to security and leave. They have to stay through the ag inspection and then take them over to security. We usually use the curbside check in when available. I'll pay a bit extra not to have to fuss with the lines.

beachchick

Thanks for the tips on tips. No worries there. We have very giving natures and show how much we appreciate the extra help.

Oh gosh, I didn't mean to imply that I thought you wouldn't tip the porters.:o If I gave you that impression, I apologize. I just wanted to explain why some of the airlines have instituted the "per bag" service fee. Like you, we think that rewarding service is quite important.

beachchick:)

• 3 weeks later...

I was off the grid for awhile.

I just wanted to be sure to let you know that there weren't any implications heard or felt on that tipping thing. all smiles. As a family of four who usually over pack, we are very grateful for all the porters everywhere.

I hope you see this post.

I've seen your posts often on these boards and value your opinions, thoughts, and knowledge.

Have fun!!!!!!:D

Archived