Millenium - Alaska

gunnywife

We're about to book on the Millenium for a 14 nite cruise - San Francisco round trip. We've sailed many times with RCCL, Carnival, Princess and HAL, but never with Celebrity. Looking forward to a nice cruise.

Any info about the ship would be appreciated. Also we could use some input on hotels in San Francisco since we'll be going a few days early. Is the port far from the downtown area? What is the best way to get from the airport to the downtown area - cab, super shuttle?

Thanks for any help you can think of to give me.

Lynn

Hi gunnywife,

First, congrats on choosing a great ship and itinerary:)

Im sure you will get a lot of feedback-some conflicting-but here's our experience.

We also went a few days early. We flew into Oakland instead of SF, and took the BART system into town to the Embarcadero station downtown. It was a gorgeous day and we walked the mile or so with wheeled luggage in tow to the hotel. We bid on a hotel in the Fisherman's Wharf area through Priceline and got the Raddisson for $70 per night. Decent hotel at super location-very easy walk to the pier, which I think is pier 35.

As in any city, if you learn to use the public transportation system, you are home free. Of course we rode the trolley, but also used the bus extensively. Here's some of the things we did (note that we are both in good health and used to walking several miles a day). We took the city bus to the Golden Gate bridge and walked over it and back. About 45 minutes each way and a spectacular view. We also walked to the Coit Tower and Lombard Street, took a bus to the Golden Gate Park (not the same as the bridge), walked though it to and along the coast and then caught bus back. We went to Alcatraz and highly recommend doing so-you can get the ferry tickets ahead of time on line. I went to a Giants game one night-great stadium. There is a nice maritime museum in the Fisherman's Wharf area. It is really a bit touristy in that area, but fun. Be aware that food prices are very high in SF-we figured we would be eating quite well on board so ate on the cheap in SF itself.

You will love the Miliie-great ship.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

We're booked on the same itinerary May 5, 2008! There is already a thread under Cruise Connections http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=537402 for the May 2008 itinerary and there has been a lot of discussion there about hotels and transportation to and from the pier. You might search it or post there as well.

Any chance we're on the same cruise? :)

Greetings, we did Infinity SFO to YVR in May,2007 out of SFO. We booked our own hotel at the Tuscan Inn in the Fisherman's wharf area. Close to everything. Drug store and grocery store around the corner as is a trolly stop.Get an inside room sometimes the outside noise could be a problem. They provide an afternoon wine and cheese and morning pasteries and coffee-included in your room rate. We used the super shuttle and to get you from SFO to the hotel depending on traffic and stops in 20 min or so. Who is in a hurry your on a vacation/holiday. Use the public transportation in the city buy a multi-day pass. If you can really pull a rabbit out of hat get a FV cabin. The balcony and view are great. Good luck

Bruton Branch:)

LYNN, glad you came over to our thread.

JANE, funny to see you on this thread! I know you are galavanting around Reno, is it? You'll see Lynn on our thread when you return.

BRUTON BRANCH... I pulled on that rabbit, and I am happy to say that I have one of those FV's for this cruise. We had the same on on our last cruise to Alaska on the Infinity. Great room, great verandah, great view, and love having that private hallway for our luggage!

to sign up for the 'connections' party

as far as hotels...I'd try for a Fisherman's wharf area or around the ferry building (like the Hyatt)(Market street at the wharf).

taxi transport will be expensive and a pain from anywhere else. But you could easily arrange a shuttle from nearly any hotel in the Bay Area...there's lots of hotel around SFO and some around the Oakland airport as well as San Jose. (but San Jose is a 1.5 hour drive). Public transport is easy without luggage...but be prepared to walk quite a ways pulling/carrying your luggage if you use public transport, unless you are able to find a taxi from BART. SF is a easy walking City despite the hills, lots to see and do that is free or inexpensive. There's a trolley that runs along the Embarcadero (waterfront) from the area around the Giant's ballpark north to the major tourist (and resident) attractions at Fisherman's wharf/Pier 39.

Be happy to assist anyone with specific questions, although I live across the Bay. BTW, there is ferry transport to the Ferry Bldg at the foot of Market from Oakland's Jack London Square area (with several hotels) and from Alameda (no nearby hotels at the ferry dock...but several inexpensive and nice ones on the island)

Archived