laptop on millenium

rannoch

Hello

We start our travelling to Millie in Venice later tonight, and I'm now at the last minute (almost literally) considering taking a laptop.

The celebrityatsea.com website is unavailable.

Can you please advise what is the procedure to use wireless connection to the internet on Millie, and is the strength/speed good. Will I need to go to the internet room to connect, or is the signal available throughout the ship 24/7.

Thanks,

Rannoch

Hello

We start our travelling to Millie in Venice later tonight, and I'm now at the last minute (almost literally) considering taking a laptop.

Can you please advise what is the procedure to use wireless connection to the internet on Millie, and is the strength/speed good. Will I need to go to the internet room to connect, or is the signal available throughout the ship 24/7.

Thanks,

Rannoch

I haven't used this service since they changed internet providers on the ship earlier this year, but in the past on other M Class ships:

Wireless was available in central areas of the ship, in some staterooms, but for others you'd have to go to a central lounge or at least to one of the chairs on your floor near the mid-ship elevators.

To sign up for wireless you needed to stop by the computer lab and have them register something on their computer, or your laptop. Probably the IP or Mac address.

Rates were identical to using the computers in the Internet Cafe on board. Connection speeds were no better than, and occasionally slightly worse then, using these computers. Generally no better than dial-up internet speed and usually worse - although last cruise with the new provider it might have been either slightly better than dial up or at least equal to a good quality dial up connection.

On some cruises you could not get email using outlook, so be prepared to access your email using a web interface and not outlook. If you don't normally have a web interface available thy mail2web.com.

Hello

Thanks,

Rannoch

Rannoch,

We were on the 5/25 sailing on Millie. We signed up for the wireless service at the Internet Cafe by using one of their computers and creating an account. (You're supposed to be able to do it by just connecting to the wireless access point but we weren't able to get it to work.) They do not need any information about your laptop. There are wireless hotspots in most of the larger public areas (main atrium, Ocean Cafe, etc.). (We had an aft CC so it was a quick trip up the aft stairs to the Ocean Cafe.) It wasn't particulary fast (about the same as dial up). By the way, in Piraeus, there is FREE wireless available at the port. We were able to go out on our balcony and get connected. Have a great cruise!! She's a beautiful ship and it's a wonderful ittinerary!!

Frederick

Archived