Is Mercury cabin 8265 (FO) a good choice?

GinaJ

Hi Everyone,

We just booked another family into our group sailing on the Mercury. There were very few quad cabins left. They were assigned 8265 in the back of the ship. The celebrity employee said these were no longer considered family oceanview cabins but now are slightly larger than normal cabins with balconies. Has anyone stayed in these type of cabins?

Do you fell the motion a lot more being in the very back of the ship? It is hard for me to imagine a view not from the side of the ship, but I am thinking that some may think the back view is great.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, Gina

We were in 8230, in April. The layout of the cabin is still the same. The only difference is now a balcony has been added.

We prefer Aft cabins. Depending on where you will be cruising, you may feel some additional movement, but the views are spectacular.

Enjoy your cruise!

Karyn

Thanks for your responses.

Karen, The celebrity rep told me that this room had 2 sofas plus a queen bed in it as opposed the the norm of 1 sofa and 1 queen bed. Did she give me incorrect info?

Thanks, Gina

I've sailed in this cabin on both ships. I really like it. It's roomy and I like the two lower bunks (I think there was an upper too, but we didn't need it so i can't remember for sure).

When we sailed there wasn't a balcony on these as someone mentioned....did they have to get rid of the back of the lowers to add that?

There was also a sliding divider door between the 'rooms' so you could separate the areas if you need it.

We didn't feel anymore motion, matter of fact for me the further back the better as far as that goes. But you do feel it when the thrusters are on in the ports, but this is just a short time when the are docking or leaving. I considered it my wakeup call. ;)

Karen, The celebrity rep told me that this room had 2 sofas plus a queen bed in it as opposed the the norm of 1 sofa and 1 queen bed. Did she give me incorrect info?

Thanks, Gina

The Celebrity rep DID give you the wrong info...instead of the 2nd sofa (that originally was across the back wall/with window overhead), there is a sliding door, that opens onto the balcony. Everything else is essentially the same.

Apparently the Celebrity reps haven't been given updated info.

Also you will be a vibration when the ship's thrusters are being used. It doesn't last long...and you do get used to it, but there is quite a lot of vibration. We just considered it a minor annoyance.

Hope this helps!

Karyn

We have 8230 booked for the TA on the Galaxy in December, since it hasn't been retrofitted it will still have the deck chairs along the back. Do you remember it there was a the bunk came out of the ceiling or out of the side wall???

There are 3 of us in the cabin so my DS will have the "living" area to her self.

We've had a FV cabin on a M class ship and the outer corner cabins and wonderful balconys are super but at least on the C class the back of the ship is so readily available.

Thanks for the info...

Happy Cruising,

Carlene

Thanks Karyn (this time I hopefully spelled your name correctly.Sorry!)

My friends are a family of 2 adults and 2 children age 3. The children are twins and were born 3 months premature. They both still wear size 12 and 18 month bottoms/ 2t Shirts (they have no long term mental or physical problems)it will just take a while for them to catch up, both physically and mentally.

In this cabin, I am now hoping that the parents will still have a queen bed and the 2 kids can sleep together on the sofa bed. They DO NOT want their children sleeping on bunks from the wall. Is this what they will have????

They have NEVER cruised and I don't want them to be disappointed and/or give them the wrong information.

My husband and I cruise often (at least once a year) and it makes me frustrated when I can't get the correct info from the cruise line. They should employ and/or pay people on CC Ha Ha. We cruise by itin, friends time off, and price so I am in no way referring to just Celebrity. We do have our favorites though.

Thanks in advance Karyn and anyone else who responds to my post.

Happy Sailing...

Sincerely, Gina

The kids will be 3 when we cruise. They are only just 2 1/2 plus now, so 12 and 18 month clothes sound even worse when I said that they are 3.

They play, laugh, sleep, cry, and complain about food like any other children so I hope I did not portray a sad picture. Sorry about that.

Thanks again for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!

Gina J

In this cabin, I am now hoping that the parents will still have a queen bed and the 2 kids can sleep together on the sofa bed. They DO NOT want their children sleeping on bunks from the wall. Is this what they will have????

They have NEVER cruised and I don't want them to be disappointed and/or give them the wrong information.

I have one of these cabins booked in April 2008 and have scoured the boards for all the information I can find from Karyn and others. One of the members of my roll call has recently stayed in the cabin and report the following:

--No Queen Bed... There is a double in the front half of the cabin (in front of the partition that separates the cabin in two halves). This double is against the wall on one long side and against the partition on one short side so it has been reported that getting in and out of bed without disturbing your mate may be challenging

-- On the back half of the cabin (behind the partition) there is a bench seat that pulls out slightly to become a bed. It has been my impression that when fully extended is not as wide as a standard double but I'm unsure if it is wider than a standard twin.

-- Above the pull out bench seat is a bunk that pulls down from the wall.

It works out perfectly for me because I'm traveling with my sister and my 11 year old daughter and we will all have our own beds. I think there are positive points in that the balcony is larger than a standard balcony and the room in square footage is about 20% larger but the bed configuration may be an issue for some.

This may be difficult for a couple used to sleeping in a King bed. I wonder why Celebrity claims it is a queen when it is a double. I know my husband who is over 6ft tall and I have a terrible nights sleep when we have to share a double. Yes they are still getting to cruise but it is also nice to be comfortable on vacation.

Maybe they will swap out the doubles by our sailing he he.

Happy Sailing,

Gina

I don't know, maybe it is a small queen. ;) DH and I felt really sqaushed.

We were in 8259 in June. 4 of us, Me, DH, DD and DS. Kids are 9 & 11 so we used the upper bunk and the bottom bunk. Here is the only thing I am unsure of .... we slept on top of the cushion that made the lower bunk. Someone said that the lower bunk does pull out into a almost double sofa bed. So if that works the twins could share that bed. If that bed turns out not to be a pull out bed (I never looked) then you could proabably get a roll-away for one of the twins so that they wouldn't have to sleep in an upper bunk, or if they are still really small, share opposite ends of the bottom bunk.

Also we did feel the thrusters when the ship was docking but it wasn't too much of a problem on the Alaska Itinerary because we did not dock first thing in the morning like we did on our previous experience with that room on a Mexico cruise.

We love the room because of the larger size and more storage space, so we put up with the draw backs. It may not be perfect but over all I really love these rooms.

This may be difficult for a couple used to sleeping in a King bed. I wonder why Celebrity claims it is a queen when it is a double. I know my husband who is over 6ft tall and I have a terrible nights sleep when we have to share a double. Yes they are still getting to cruise but it is also nice to be comfortable on vacation.

Maybe they will swap out the doubles by our sailing he he.

Happy Sailing,

Gina

the double or queen, is surrounded by 3 walls. My DH who is 6'1" couldn't fully stretch out, unless he was diagonal. He wound up sleeping on the lower bunk in back. I'm a shorty, so I fit fine and my DS who was 14 months at the time sleep on the inside of me....so actually that worked well because we didn't have to worry about him falling out of bed.

I would book these cabins again even considering this. Since we all are in one room anyway we just move everyone into what ever bed works best for them....:)

Thanks, Gina

Hi Gina,

Very interested to hear you have been told the cabin has a Queen size bed. We have friends travelling with us who have 8224 aft on Mercury and we were told they only have double beds.:confused: If you can clarify gain with Celebrity which is correct, I would love to hear back from you.

Jillybean:)

Hi Gina,

Very interested to hear you have been told the cabin has a Queen size bed. We have friends travelling with us who have 8224 aft on Mercury and we were told they only have double beds.:confused: If you can clarify gain with Celebrity which is correct, I would love to hear back from you.

Jillybean:)

Jillybean, we were on Mercury in April, in #8230, and the bed is a double, and there are no sofa beds....the bed in the other room is a twin/day bed, complete with padded bolsters. I believe it does open into a double. We didn't use this feature, so I'm not sure.

Maybe before the renovation, there were sofa beds, but not now. Above the twin/day bed is a pull-down sleeper bed.

You can't count on Celebrity reps to know all the correct information. They are looking at a screen on their computer that hasn't been updated...but needs to be.

Karyn

Archived