NCL Dream to Bermuda

CruzMom3

We are planning a Bermuda cruise in the summer of 08. I see that the NCL Dream leaves out of Boston and docks in St. George for almost 3 full days. I was wondering if anyone has done the Dream to Bermuda and how it was sailing out of Boston. How is this ship compared to the Majesty? Crown? We prefer to leave from NYC but this itinerary was much better.

Also, I was doing research and I've only seen NCL so far going to Bermuda. Will other cruise ships add Bermuda later on? I know there's only about 4 main ships that sail weekly but like I said, only saw NCL so far.

Any info would help.

Thanks.

We were on the Crown in July. I wish that itinerary would continue (St. George's/Hamliton). But, to somewhat answer your question, when we were at Horseshoe Bay, I was talking to a lady who was docked in St. George's for three days, I think - no Hamilton. She loved it. They bought a three day transportation pass and did not feel like she was missing out on anything. She said they had been all over the island in the three days they were there. They had done a similar itinerary before, but rented scooters, but this time their son was with them.

So, hope this helps a bit. Personally, if that is the choice I had, I would do it. I would want to spend the most time possible being docked in Bermuda.:)

Thanks so much. I've been trying to do a lot of research about Bermuda before we go and what I've seen/read it sounds fantastic. It also looks like you don't get a wide variety of cruise ships sailing to Bermuda so our choices for itineraries are limited. I do know that I want to spend 3 days there to see all of the island. My husband and I thought about flying there so we would be there even longer but we love to cruise too much. So much to do in so little time. I can not wait to get there.

I was wondering about that. I'm from the midwest so I would have to look into that. I have a friend in Boston but if we wanted to stay in NYC for a night we would have to figure a way to get between the two places. I would love to get back up to NYC but I've never been to Boston so either would be fine. My goal now is a good itinerary for Bermuda. I'm still not ruling out flying to the island and staying for 4 or 5 nights. At this point I don't know which would be better. I've still got time to decide and research a little more.

There is no way NCL Dream fits in St. George's. She currently docks at the Royal Naval Dockyard at the King's Wharf. I think you will find this is what she is doing next season too. I believe I saw discussions about Dream on the NCL board - she's doing two nights along side dock and 1 tendered. This normally means some other ship has already booked the dock space. That, of course, may of changed by now.

I would try checking RCCL to see what their schedule is for Bermuda in 2008.

I checked on the NCL website along with another website and the NCL Dream DOES in fact dock in St. George. It leaves out of Boston too. If this is the case, this sounds like a good itinerary to me.

Do people prefer St. George over the Dockyards? Why is that?

According to a Bermuda website, at the end of July 2007 the 2008/09 cruise schedule that was adopted reflects that the three ships that will be docking at Kings Wharf are RCI Explorer of the Seas, Granduer of the Seas and NCL Dawn. In St George's there will be NCL Drean and Magesty. No ship will be a regular at Hamilton. Hamilton will only have what they referred to as "occasional calls". Celebrity has left. It looks like the only one going from NY is the Dawn, RCI is coming from Bayonne, NY and the other two from Boston. Hope this info helps:)

Thanks so much. Like I said, I couldn't find any cruise ships besides NCL that were heading to Bermuda in 2008. I would look RCCL, Princess, and Celebrity up and they would send me back to 2007 instead of 2008. Also, I've seen on agent-only websites that it's just NCL...no one else. I wasn't sure what was going on. So you say Celebrity is out? That's too bad. Is there a reason for the short supply of cruise ships sailing to Bermuda? Does Bermuda not want them in or do people just seem to fly instead of cruise there? Hopefully I can find a good ship to get me there in 2008.

Thanks so much. Like I said, I couldn't find any cruise ships besides NCL that were heading to Bermuda in 2008. I would look RCCL, Princess, and Celebrity up and they would send me back to 2007 instead of 2008. Also, I've seen on agent-only websites that it's just NCL...no one else. I wasn't sure what was going on. So you say Celebrity is out? That's too bad. Is there a reason for the short supply of cruise ships sailing to Bermuda? Does Bermuda not want them in or do people just seem to fly instead of cruise there? Hopefully I can find a good ship to get me there in 2008.

The larger ships are more in demand because cruisers want more things to do on sea days. These larger ships can't get into the smaller ports like St George and Hamilton so they have to dock at Kings Wharf and only just so many can get in there at one time. Bermuda really can't enlarge the smaller ports without damaging the coral, so that, in short, brings us to where we are.

Got it. I guess with Bermuda not in the Caribbean the cruise ships have to limit what goes there....smaller ships, itinerary, etc. I've seen the upcoming plans for Hamilton. It looks really nice if that's what they end up doing. I'm assuming the larger cruise ships will get to dock there after it's done.

I don't think accomodations are going to be made for larger ships to get into Hamilton..There is matter of the coral reefs and enlarging the port area would destroy much of it and that is just not acceptable. Can't blame them, the beauty of their island and it's waters are why we go there and if it's ruined to accomodate larger ships...who gains??:( I remember speaking with a cabbie there a couple of years ago and many ideas were being thrown around. One was to redevelope an old fuel unloading depo, but again money is an issue and although the cruise lines would be happy to help foot the bill, this would give them a say as to when, where and how often they can stop there and Bermuda does not want to give away the right to regulate the number of cruise ships that visit. That sight brings to mind when we were in Nassau and there were 9 cruise ships in port and the place was a madhouse!!!! Imagine that in Bermuda...you would never be able to enjoy what we do now.

I don't think accomodations are going to be made for larger ships to get into Hamilton..There is matter of the coral reefs and enlarging the port area would destroy much of it and that is just not acceptable. Can't blame them, the beauty of their island and it's waters are why we go there and if it's ruined to accomodate larger ships...who gains??:( I remember speaking with a cabbie there a couple of years ago and many ideas were being thrown around. One was to redevelope an old fuel unloading depo, but again money is an issue and although the cruise lines would be happy to help foot the bill, this would give them a say as to when, where and how often they can stop there and Bermuda does not want to give away the right to regulate the number of cruise ships that visit. That sight brings to mind when we were in Nassau and there were 9 cruise ships in port and the place was a madhouse!!!! Imagine that in Bermuda...you would never be able to enjoy what we do now.

I have to agree with what you say. If the cruise lines want to continue with the smaller ships such as the NCL Majesty, then they can continue to come to Bermuda. But if they sell off those ships such as the upcoming sale of the NCL Crown, then they are sizing themselves out of the Bermuda market. I believe I read that the Bermuda government offered to let NCL keep 2 days in St George and change the third day to Hamilton. NCL supposedly said they prefer the present 3 1/2 day itinerary that have. My wife recently went to St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands and said it was overloaded with passengers from the cruise ships. All of the passengers she talked to, said basically they wished they had more time in port to explore the island further than the tourist shopping areas. The 3 1/2 days docked in Bermuda is one of the unique and outstanding aspects of the cruise experience for me. I think it is a good idea for the Bermuda government to manage the cruise population so as to best retain the serenity of Bermuda. Lord knows enough people complain of the crowds at Tobacco Bay and Horseshoe Bay beaches.:)

That is true. I didn't think about the number of cruise ships coming in to Bermuda and then you have all the people from those ships. What a pain that would be. I hear it gets crowded on some of the beaches anyway so to add even larger and more ships....well....let's just say.....not fun.

I agree with not damaging the reefs. That's what's important. Keep it looking beautiful.

• 2 months later...

Do people prefer St. George over the Dockyards? Why is that?

We took the Majesty last year. Docking in St.Georges was like having a hotel in the midst of a perfect Bermudian village. The view from the ship was incredible. The colored walls and white roofs of the buildings are amazing. Fantastic gardens. Wandering the streets and alleys of St George's was a great. Always a different view and there would be the ship docked right in town.

We had a 3 day bus pass, but really didn't need the 3rd day. There's a small shuttle bus and plenty of cabs to get to the St. Catherine's beach. Close enough to walk if you like a hike.

Spent an afternoon at the Dockyard. Some shops in the historic stone building and a lot of pavement. Nicer by far than the docks in Boston, but no comparison to St. George's.

We're thinking of going again. We live just outside of Boston. No airfare, no extra nights at a hotel. The cruise with all the meals and shows included was a value compared to renting a cottage on the Cape.

We took the Majesty last year. Docking in St.Georges was like having a hotel in the midst of a perfect Bermudian village. The view from the ship was incredible. The colored walls and white roofs of the buildings are amazing. Fantastic gardens. Wandering the streets and alleys of St George's was a great. Always a different view and there would be the ship docked right in town.

We had a 3 day bus pass, but really didn't need the 3rd day. There's a small shuttle bus and plenty of cabs to get to the St. Catherine's beach. Close enough to walk if you like a hike.

Spent an afternoon at the Dockyard. Some shops in the historic stone building and a lot of pavement. Nicer by far than the docks in Boston, but no comparison to St. George's.

We're thinking of going again. We live just outside of Boston. No airfare, no extra nights at a hotel. The cruise with all the meals and shows included was a value compared to renting a cottage on the Cape.

You are so very right beach2sea! We're just 20 minutes south of Boston. My DH is NCL-to-Bermuda's biggest fan. I like cruising O.K., but in 4 years have always spent at least part of a day not feeling too well from rough seas. DH had another life as a travel agent and spends hours searching for a flight and hotel package to Bermuda that meets our budget, and we have never found anything near the value of a cruise. We could pay what a week of cruise costs to stay 2-3 days on the island, food not included. He recently checked a $399pp for 2 nights deal, and what wasn't mentioned were the $119 in airport taxes and a ridiculous "resort fee" at the hotel. THEN he saw the flights went from Boston to Pittsburgh, or Atlanta, and we'd spend the whole first day of vacation in airports, taking 8 hours for a 1 1/2 hour flight. You're right, the vacation buck value for cruising beats anything on the cape.

I also am crazy about Bermuda and if had my way (and the money) I would move there...I know that The NCL Dawn will have a 7 day cruise out of NY to Bermuda( Royal Dockyard) but the catch is that it will take 3 days at sea (counting the day you leave) to get there, 2 1/2 days in Bermuda and 2 days back to NY....RCCL has a 5 day cruise that places you in Bermuda for 1 1/2 days...(too shortof a time for me)...I am not too crazy about NCL but if it means a good deal to Bermuda and the most time there, I can overlook all the negatives ... :rolleyes:

I also am crazy about Bermuda and if had my way (and the money) I would move there...I know that The NCL Dawn will have a 7 day cruise out of NY to Bermuda( Royal Dockyard) but the catch is that it will take 3 days at sea (counting the day you leave) to get there, 2 1/2 days in Bermuda and 2 days back to NY....RCCL has a 5 day cruise that places you in Bermuda for 1 1/2 days...(too shortof a time for me)...I am not too crazy about NCL but if it means a good deal to Bermuda and the most time there, I can overlook all the negatives ... :rolleyes:

That is what is so tantalizing about the Bermuda itinerary. You spend 3 1/2 days docked in St. George, having essentially brought your hotel and food with you. There are only two sea days down and 2 sea days back so you do get an equal amount of time in Bermuda. This itinerary is so unique and special that when you compare other cruises, it becomes difficult to give up.

We would love to try the Carribean, but you arrive in port in the morning and have to leave in the afternoon. Too short a time to really experience very much of any individual island. This the predominant complaint that my wife (Bubbletoes) heard from all the ship passengers they encountered from her air/land vacation in St. Thomas.

I really have spent countless hours trying to build a air/land package to compare with the cruise and I can't even come close to the cost and value. I was a very experienced travel agent who is very web savy. If it were possible then I would be able to do it, but I can't. My best efforts usually fall in the $4,000 to $5,000 area for a reasonable hotel and decent air schedules. Even the 3 night "cheap" charters for the crummy weather seasons of January - March are still more than a seven day cruise and don't include food costs. Which in Bermuda is comparable to Hawaii.

And basically for the same money or less, you could do a air/ land package to Hawaii, which has a lot to offer in competition to Bermuda. The only drawback for Hawaii for me is the time involved in getting from the East Coast to get there and back. :)

So here we are again, booked the NCL Dream for Oct of 2008. Cruising is simply just too good a value to consider other vacation options.

That is what is so tantalizing about the Bermuda itinerary. You spend 3 1/2 days docked in St. George, having essentially brought your hotel and food with you. There are only two sea days down and 2 sea days back so you do get an equal amount of time in Bermuda. This itinerary is so unique and special that when you compare other cruises, it becomes difficult to give up.

We would love to try the Carribean, but you arrive in port in the morning and have to leave in the afternoon. Too short a time to really experience very much of any individual island. This the predominant complaint that my wife (Bubbletoes) heard from all the ship passengers they encountered from her air/land vacation in St. Thomas.

I really have spent countless hours trying to build a air/land package to compare with the cruise and I can't even come close to the cost and value. I was a very experienced travel agent who is very web savy. If it were possible then I would be able to do it, but I can't. My best efforts usually fall in the $4,000 to $5,000 area for a reasonable hotel and decent air schedules. Even the 3 night "cheap" charters for the crummy weather seasons of January - March are still more than a seven day cruise and don't include food costs. Which in Bermuda is comparable to Hawaii.

And basically for the same money or less, you could do a air/ land package to Hawaii, which has a lot to offer in competition to Bermuda. The only drawback for Hawaii for me is the time involved in getting from the East Coast to get there and back. :)

So here we are again, booked the NCL Dream for Oct of 2008. Cruising is simply just too good a value to consider other vacation options.

Friends just spent a week in Bermuda the 1st week in Oct. who had always cruised there. They were staying in a guest cottage and claimed the whole thing was going to cost about the same as a cruise. Have not heard from them yet and am very anxious to hear their comparison because like you have found, there doesn't seem to be one. Don't know if they'll tell me how much it really cost.

Have read on another forum how people drag food with them to cut costs, even frozen meat, but I don't think I'm willing to go to that extent to save money.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

This Will Be Our Fith Trip Back To Bermuda, When Asked Why I Say That I Have A Hotel On The Water With My Meals All Paid For. Its The Best Place On Earth Very Peacefull, Relaxing And Theres Enought To Do If You Want To. Lots Of Activity At The Dock If You Just Want Tostay There And The Beaches Are Within Walking Distance...the Best Deal For The Money.... Can't Wait To Go Back ... The Kids Are Excited About A New Ship Tp Explore So Even Better.

Doe

We do limit cruise arrivals here. With our small island, it is easy to feel over run when too many are in at one time. I think part of our charm is the limit! I've been to a number of Caribbean islands where there are many in at one time and it's a zoo.

I wanted to mention another nice beach not too far from St. George's - John Smith's Bay. It's on the south shore just past Tucker's Town and is lovely. Larger than Tobacco Bay and with some surf. There's usually a lunch wagon there in season for people to purchase refreshments. It's much closer than travelling from St. George's up to the beaches in Warwick and Southampton. A good alternative.

I'm pleased to read so many of you love this place. I am truly blessed to live here!

Boston to Berumda is far the best! (for the $$) 3 1/2 days docked in St. George. No flying, No Hotel, get dropped off and let the fun begin. we booked Oct 5th 2008. should be real quiet by this date. we actually booked this same trip last year (last min) during the 4th july week . first thought was Ugg to many kids/ to many people. but all and all it wasn't bad at all. we had a blast!

We do limit cruise arrivals here. With our small island, it is easy to feel over run when too many are in at one time. I think part of our charm is the limit! I've been to a number of Caribbean islands where there are many in at one time and it's a zoo.

I wanted to mention another nice beach not too far from St. George's - John Smith's Bay. It's on the south shore just past Tucker's Town and is lovely. Larger than Tobacco Bay and with some surf. There's usually a lunch wagon there in season for people to purchase refreshments. It's much closer than travelling from St. George's up to the beaches in Warwick and Southampton. A good alternative.

I'm pleased to read so many of you love this place. I am truly blessed to live here!

Yes you are blessed to live on such a beautiful island. We have done 5 land vacations in Bermuda and 9 Boston to Bermuda cruises on the Norwegian Majesty. We are booked on the Dream for June 1. Can't wait to get back to our favorite vacation spot. I will think of our fun times at Tobacco Bay while we try and get through the cold winter. Right now it is just 9 degress F.

Archived