Canada/NE ports with Internet/Wi-Fi

Terpnut

Meant to post this when we got off our Grandeur cruise last week, but I forgot. Just wanted anyone interested to know that I could pickup the following Wi-Fi signals from an upper deck or sometimes from our room on Deck 4:

Portland - Hilton Garden Inn (free)

Bar Harbor - no luck (ships cannot dock and so you're too far out in the harbor)

Saint John - Free public wifi hotspot--forgot the AP name but you'll see it

Halifax - Could not find a free or paid hot spot

Boston - No free hot spots, but the Port Authority has cheap paid access (use your credit card).

As the ship's internet access is both ridiculously expensive and painfully slow, is pays to use paid land-based wifi access (in Boston, for example) over using the ship's pathetic satellite-based internet service when you can. And as these Canada/NE itineraries are very port-intensive, you should have plenty of time and opportunity to access these port hotspots. When used together judiciously, it won't break the bank to use the internet during your cruise! Good luck.

• 11 months later...
Meant to post this when we got off our Grandeur cruise last week, but I forgot. Just wanted anyone interested to know that I could pickup the following Wi-Fi signals from an upper deck or sometimes from our room on Deck 4:

Portland - Hilton Garden Inn (free)

Bar Harbor - no luck (ships cannot dock and so you're too far out in the harbor)

Saint John - Free public wifi hotspot--forgot the AP name but you'll see it

Halifax - Could not find a free or paid hot spot

Boston - No free hot spots, but the Port Authority has cheap paid access (use your credit card).

As the ship's internet access is both ridiculously expensive and painfully slow, is pays to use paid land-based wifi access (in Boston, for example) over using the ship's pathetic satellite-based internet service when you can. And as these Canada/NE itineraries are very port-intensive, you should have plenty of time and opportunity to access these port hotspots. When used together judiciously, it won't break the bank to use the internet during your cruise! Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I actually don't think the ship's service is too bad, considering you can actually get online in the middle of the open sea, but the free access will be great for port days!

Archived