Typhoon

Piton1

As hurricane season is starting to kick in here in the states, I was wondering whether Australia/New Zealand get hit by typhoons and if so at what time of year.

Paul

Hi Piton, we get cyclones in the north of Australia and Islands in the Pacific from Nov- April. We call it ....the wet season.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Hurricanes, cyclones, typhoons - all rotating tropical storms but named differently in different parts of the world.

North of the equator [Hurricanes and typhoons] they rotate anti-clockwise and south of the equator [cyclones] they rotate clockwise.

All are usually born in tropical waters.

Typhoon is the local name given to rotating tropical storms in Asia, and is actually derived from the Cantonese words Tai Fung which loosely means "Supreme Wind".

As hurricane season is starting to kick in here in the states, I was wondering whether Australia/New Zealand get hit by typhoons and if so at what time of year.

New Zealand does not get that many tropical cyclones (compared to Australia), I cant remember the last time NZ was hit by one.

Archived