Ariel

shoequeen1001

I'm not up on Ariel, but doesn't a mermaid require water? And I don't believe she can walk on her tail so would they push her around on a service cart? I think the girls would like her better as a Princess with legs and arms to hold and hug and then to let their imaginations swim along with her mermaid form. I think trying to make her a live mermaid would lose some of the magic.

Just my thoughts. Maybe you can help your daughter along with her imagination since she can't have Ariel in her mermaid form just her princess form.

I just wanted to know which costume Ariel was in for the meet and greet. In WDW she is a mermaid in her cove. My daughter is fine either way and there is NOTHING WRONG with her imagination.!!!:mad:

It was more for my scrapbook planning than anything.

My 7 year old daughter is smart enough to know it is just a pretty girl in a costume.

Thanks for the picture! and the posts

The previous reply was meant for the post from HISCHILDBETH. I think her post was snippy and had to respond.

I'm sorry that you felt my note was "snippy" and offended you.

Since I am old and have no grand children I don't know much about today's Disney stories. I was trying to think what my daughter (who is now 32) would have thought as a child. She quesitons everything to this day and would have wondered how the mermaid/princess transformation thing could happen. I was not implying that there was anything wrong with your daughter and can't imagine how you came up with that interpretation from what I wrote.

I was trying to think how I would have responded to my daughter and what I could do to help build my daughter's imagination. I didn't know that helping to build a child's imagination was something bad or implied that the child was stupid.

The first thing I thought when I read your note, and I thought it was funny so I wrote it in my note, was to see Ariel appear being pushed on a service cart. I thought it was a funny picture in my head. I'm sorry you didn't. I also did not know your daughter was 7 which I guess I should have asked first. I didn't know that Disney had made an attempt to protray a real person as a mermaid to children.

Again my apologies for being "snippy" and thanks for making my day great.

Thanks for the picture! and the posts

The previous reply was meant for the post from HISCHILDBETH. I think her post was snippy and had to respond.

No problem.

I don't think hischildbeth meant it to come across that way based on what she said.

The internet is so tricky - there's no tone of voice in the written word... I'm constantly finding out that something I thought was funny or neutral when I posted it comes across to the other person as rude, mean, or snippy... I can't tell you how many times that has happened to me and I've found myself apologizing and clarifying...

:(

Still - I hope your DD has the time of her life and gets a big hug from Ariel too!!!!!!

:D

The first thing I thought when I read your note, and I thought it was funny so I wrote it in my note, was to see Ariel appear being pushed on a service cart. I thought it was a funny picture in my head.

That's not far from reality.

I don't recall exactly where, possibly Disneyland but I saw Ariel (in fish form) get wheeled-out on what may have once been a garden waste cart modified with fiberglass and foam to resemble a coral reef. The CM's then picked her up and placed her on her permanent perch for autograph signing. It was well done but a little less than graceful. This was before Disneyland build Ariel's grotto with the rotating wall.

Shoequeen1001,

Thank you for your apology but when I read my reply back to you, it could have been nicer. My apology to you also. I know that when Jesus read this He was not proud of the way His daughter responded. Times are getting rougher and it seems like it is harder to find the good times not just the good days. We need to remember where to keep our eyes focussed while still enjoying the good things of this earth. I hope your Disney cruise is fun for all of your family.

Host Mick,

Thanks for your comment. It must have been humorous to see a live, mermaid Ariel placed in her cove for autograph signing. I know that almost everything Disney does to enhance our imagination is top notch, but this must not have been one of their best thought out decisions. I'm glad the mermaid has her permanent home. On the ship I'll try to find the "Little Mermaid" and watch it since I'm so out-of-date. Perhaps I will find time to catch up on others like Alladin and Jasmine too. When you get me past Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty (who I keep mixing up with Cinderella) I am fumbling around in the dark. From publicity shots I know who Jasmine and Ariel are, but that is about it. I think there is also a singing crab and some other characters. I also don't remember all the male counterparts to the princesss. Oh, Woe is Me! To be so deliquent in my education would make Walt very sad.

A note of trivia that has meant a lot to me over the years is that I was one of the first 100 people to go through the Haunted Mansion when it opened at Disneyland. We got to camp out the night before and wee allowed to enter the park before opening to be the first in line. It was cool for a teenager and a fond memory for an old lady.

All the Best to Everyone,

Beth

HisChildBeth:

You made me smile... with a 4 1/2 y.o. DD, I'm up on all the 'current' princess stuff, but wasn't before I had her!

The other day, she asked me who my favorite princess was when I was a little girl and I said "Snow White" and she said "why not Ariel?"

When I said "Ariel wasn't around then honey" she said "what do you mean not around?"

And just then my husband walked in to hear me say "when I was a little girl, we only had 3 princesses - Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty..." and he started laughing and said "and mommy walked 5 miles to and from school in the snow, uphill both ways..."

And we both started laughing. Then had to explain to DD that the princesses have more than doubled since I was her age!! :)

HisChildBeth:

You made me smile... with a 4 1/2 y.o. DD, I'm up on all the 'current' princess stuff, but wasn't before I had her!

The other day, she asked me who my favorite princess was when I was a little girl and I said "Snow White" and she said "why not Ariel?"

When I said "Ariel wasn't around then honey" she said "what do you mean not around?"

And just then my husband walked in to hear me say "when I was a little girl, we only had 3 princesses - Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty..." and he started laughing and said "and mommy walked 5 miles to and from school in the snow, uphill both ways..."

And we both started laughing. Then had to explain to DD that the princesses have more than doubled since I was her age!! :)

Has anyone else ever noticed that none of the princesses have mommys? The closest that you can get is Pocahontas and that creepy talking tree thing. There's something very suspicious going on.

yes i know....i wonder why! maybe its because princesses are supposed to be beautiful people who can overcome any challenge and walt thinks not having a mother would be the biggest challenge yet! (did he have one?) welll could be. also , amother might tell them they were too young to get married, whereas they can just charm their fathers:p

Has anyone else ever noticed that none of the princesses have mommys? The closest that you can get is Pocahontas and that creepy talking tree thing. There's something very suspicious going on.

Sleeping Beauty has a Mom... she just doesn't have a name!! lol...

It's "King Stefan and his wife, the Queen"

Part of the reason it's DD's favorite princess is that she has a Mommy. I used to say that Walt must have it out for Mothers... Bambi's mom gets shot, Nemo's gets eaten, Cinderella's and Snow White's both die, Belle's & Pocohantas's & Ariel's don't even get mentioned, oh wait!! Mulan has a mommy that's alive and well and involved in her life... what's up with that?? lol... :p

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not up on Ariel, but doesn't a mermaid require water? And I don't believe she can walk on her tail so would they push her around on a service cart? I think the girls would like her better as a Princess with legs and arms to hold and hug and then to let their imaginations swim along with her mermaid form. I think trying to make her a live mermaid would lose some of the magic.

Just my thoughts. Maybe you can help your daughter along with her imagination since she can't have Ariel in her mermaid form just her princess form.

Who said the Princesses are only for the "girls" to like? :D :p

Archived