Where to shop for Decor items?

AZDCruiser

We are closing on our 1st house (YAY!!) and cruising in December with a stop in St. Thomas. We plan on using Sunny Liston and picking the 3 hour shopping tour....

Where is a good shopping spot for home decor items? I am specifically looking for kitchen/dining type items as we want to decorate our new kitchen in an island type theme -- with all of our finds from previous cruises. I've heard/read St. Thomas is really only good for jewelry. Please tell me that is wrong!:eek:

In town at the Captain's Corner stores on Main Street and the Waterfront you can buy island themed (including shell) island prints, napkin rings, ornaments, wall geckos and fish, sailor bottle holders and decorators, signs and plaques, candles, bottle stoppers, and who knows what else?

There's a new store in Palm Passage (not even named yet!) that has hand-painted glassware like candle hurricanes, pitchers, glasses, tiles, ornaments, pottery (including a very cute napkin holder for outdoors so the napkins don't blow away!), napkin rings, salt and pepper shakers, and some more things I probably forgot to mention.

Down Island Traders on the Waterfront has island-themed pottery (I remember some vases/clay pots), napkins, placemats, figurines, etc. I haven't been in the store in about a month, so I'm sure they've got other things I'm forgetting.

The Tradewinds Store, also on the Waterfront, has larger pieces like sculpture, and some really neat wall plaques made from sand, sea glass, and shells that spell out things like Welcome. They've got a really cute one shaped like a dog bone.

Natural Home in Royald Dane Mall (though they're supposed to be moving to Yacht Haven Grande) has lines and things made from natural fibers with a more Mediterranean island look than Caribbean. Expensive, but very nice if you like neutral colors.

AH Riise Print Gallery on Main Street has posters and prints that are framable, and they pack them in a cardboard tube.

There are also several galleries in town - Gallery St Thomas on Main Street, and Johnna White Gallery also on Main Street. In Palm Passage and Royal Dane Mall there are a few other artists selling their prints.

Also in Royal Dane Mall there's Laska. They sell crystal from Eastern Europe, and I bought great wine goblets there at a good price for crystal (not glass). The stem is frosted and goes up part way the goblet creating a flower or flame look, and comes in different colors. They also have other glass stuff.

Can you tell I shop a lot??:) You might need more than 3 hours!

We are closing on our 1st house (YAY!!) and cruising in December with a stop in St. Thomas. We plan on using Sunny Liston and picking the 3 hour shopping tour....

Where is a good shopping spot for home decor items? I am specifically looking for kitchen/dining type items as we want to decorate our new kitchen in an island type theme -- with all of our finds from previous cruises. I've heard/read St. Thomas is really only good for jewelry. Please tell me that is wrong!:eek:

Congrats on the new house! We just found out yesterday that we close on our house Dec 1st! :D That's a good idea for a kitchen... and it's giving me ideas:p

married, I bought a cute (well, to me anyway!), rectangular, shallow, "embroidered" straw basket at the Straw Market in Nassau. You can use it for breads or to hold plastic or silverware if you're having a buffet. Or, to throw the mail into. I didn't see many vendors with them, though, and that was over a year ago. What I wanted to get, but they sold out, was something made of conch for about $25 that they sell at a stand right at the terminal. Can't remember now what it was!! Not a clock, but whatever it was, I've only seen it in Nassau. It had a conch spoon with it - that I remember, so it was some kind of dish.

Antigua - I can't remember any decor items catching my eye. I bought clothes there.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, the Natural Home store is no longer in Royal Dane Mall, and hasn't opened in Yacht Haven Grande, either. Stores can come and go so quickly here, it's hard to keep up!

All the other stores I mentioned, Captain's Corner, Down Island Traders, A.H. Riise Gallery, etc have been around for years, and should still be here when you arrive. I notice new shipments coming in for season, so there should be new goodies!

Archived