Help in Lahaina

jaybird from SC

From what I recall, Hertz and Enterprise were in or near Lahania. We docked on the other side so we used Thrifty in Kahului. I would first determine which companies are there (a google search would probably give you the info) and then call direct to the local agency and see if they have 12 passenger vans. I know Thrifty did because we ended up with one for our group even though we requested a minivan. Other than that, the specific company websites would be the only other place.

From what I recall, Hertz and Enterprise were in or near Lahania. We docked on the other side so we used Thrifty in Kahului. I would first determine which companies are there (a google search would probably give you the info) and then call direct to the local agency and see if they have 12 passenger vans. I know Thrifty did because we ended up with one for our group even though we requested a minivan. Other than that, the specific company websites would be the only other place.

Thanks for the info.....Sailing away Oct. 12th. on Celebrity Summit. Ruth

You'll have to rent at the west-side locations. Hertz has a location in Lahaina on Papalaua, about a 15 minute walk from the ship, but they send shuttles. At this point, they are the only company with a location actually in Lahaina.

There is an Enterprise at the Sheraton in Ka'anapali. It is not in Lahaina, even though the listed address says "Lahaina." It can be a bit confusing at times because most of the resorts in Ka'anapali on the beach have "Lahaina" as the mailing address--They are not in Lahaina town. The Enterprise at the Sheraton is about 8 minutes away by shuttle.

The other locations are all listed for the West Maui Airport (also called Kapalua Airport). The airport designator for this commuter airport is JHM. These locations are all off the main road south of the airport in a "row" about 10 minutes by shuttle from the tender pier. They send shuttles to the pier. Also, they close early, but do have after-hours drop off available.

DO NOT try to rent from the Kahului Airport locations if you are tendered at Lahaina. Kahului is almost an hour's drive, one way, from Lahaina. The rental companies absolutely will not send shuttles because it's not reasonable in terms of time, personnel, or fuel costs. (Plus, it would be a huge waste of passenger time to spend more than 2 hours just getting a rental car and returning it.)

I do not know if any of these west-side locations have 8+ passenger vans or if they'd have any available at this late date. It would be best to get the direct numbers for the specific locations so you can call and ask directly.

Best of luck.

beachchick

we rented from hertz in lahaina and we also saw Avis near there,

its on the main street in lahiana, but when we rented from there , the location said west maui airport,,

if this is your case just remember there are NO rental places at that airport they are all down the street..

I know that sounds confusing but we learned the hard way..

try hertz.com

if you have any questions feel free to email me anytime, my email is on my signature

take care

Melissa

The Avis is on Halawai St., which is where the "rental row" for the West Maui Airport is; it is not in Lahaina town. Only the Hertz is in town (as far as I know; things do change). (I'm still not sure why it would be a problem or something learned the hard way that the rental locations which service the West Maui Airport are down the road a bit. It actually makes them closer to Lahaina than if they were at the airport.)

Hertz has a surprising number of locations on the west side (I just checked for the heck of it). The JHM location is near the airport on the main highway and is listed as "Kapalua West Maui Airport." The location that's in Lahaina on Papalaua is listed as "West Maui Rental Center." There's plenty of room for confusion between those locations--and the fact that Hertz has a couple of locations at resorts in Ka'anapali. Seems they really want you to have to think about which location you want. (Here's a perfect example of the "Lahaina" address confusion too because all four locations use "Ka'anapali-Lahaina" as the area/city. Only the one on Papalaua is in Lahaina; two are in the southern part of Ka'anapali; the fourth is on the main highway and closer to the airport.)

jaybird from SC: Definitely check the websites for the various rental companies. I'd try to do an online rental first and see what availability pops up. You may find exactly what you need. If not, then try calling the specific west Maui locations directly. Hertz, for example, lists the local phone number for each location.

beachchick

Archived