Norwegian Dawn and Kids Activities?

hazeleyes35

We are going to Bermuda next August with our almost 10 year old and 4 1/2 year old. Are there lots of activities for them and is the only babysitting available from 10pm-1am? That seems late for my 4 year old to be up and doing things unless they let them sleep?

Thanks!

I have not been on Dawn, but since NCL's children's programs seem to be fairly standard, I can tell you about our wonderful experience on the Norwegian Star.

First of all, are you going in EARLY August? If so, there will be plenty of children on board.

My kids thought Norwegian had the BEST kids programs. They were 5 and 7 at the time. They have never enjoyed any other kids program that much (not even the award-winning Camp Carnival). I thought the Norwegian activities were some of the most creative I had ever seen.

The kids club is free and generally runs from 9am-12pm, 2pm-5pm, and 7pm to 10pm (9 hours a day). Be sure to register for it the first night of the cruise. You only pay if you want the babysitting service from 10pm-1am. And yes the kids can sleep. Late night, they often watch movies in a dark room with blankets and the little ones tend to fall asleep.

The two hours between activities worked out great for us because we could eat and swim together before the kids went back to their clubs. And the amazing thing to me was how my 7yo would count the minutes till he could go back again. He was so shy, but oh he loved that kids club. I think it was the first time in his life he ever wanted to be away from Mommy ... and this Mommy loved the free time.

It was our first cruise ... and I hadn't expected to have so much personal time without the kids. It turned out to be better than I ever imagined a cruise with kids would be.

We've been on the Dawn twice and will again next June with our 2 kids (4 and 9 now). They were 2 and 7 the first time. They LOVED the Kid Crew. We couldn't keep them out of there. Every time we went to pick them up, they whined about leaving. DD fell asleep a couple of times when we used the late night babysitting.

Since you're going to Bermuda, make sure you visit the Bermuda Aquarium Museum and Zoo (BAMZ for short). It's a quick cab ride from Hamilton. We've been there twice and the kids were enthralled (as were we). The female peacock ate lunch with us. The peacocks roam around the zoo freely. And, when we sat down at their little cantina (sandwiches, chips, etc), she came over to our table and stayed while we ate. Of course, we gave her some morsels of bread. :)

The Dawn is a good choice. You'll have a blast!!!

Happy Sailing!!!

Can someone fill me in on what happens with the kids programs when the ship is in port? I always understood they more or less shut down when at port. We are considering a Bermuda cruise in the spring that will be in Bermuda for the better part of 3 days. Thats far too much time to go without a kids program if they shut down when at Port. Can someone verify this for me? Thanks!

Mike

On our 2004 Hawaii cruise, NCL did not offer anything for children while at port. However, it looks like their ships are now offering "Port Play" for an added fee. They probably added it to stay competitive with other lines. It is not a free service.

I copied this from the NCL website. I suggest calling them:

The “Port Play” is offered from 9am-5pm and we accommodate those parents booked on Shore Excursions. Sign up is 8pm the evening prior to the desired “Port Play”. Please don't hesitate to call with questions at 1.800.327.7030

It seems the 3 day call would merit special circumstances.

Mike,

If you'd like the countdown, just click on the graphic and it will take you to the website.

Then scroll down to "The Event Ticker Creator" and make your own. At the end of the process, they give you 4 codes. I think I had to use the bb code to get it to show up on this site.

Just copy and paste the bb code right into the box where you edit your signature.

Archived