Cruise Fares Nov.-Dec.

2sightseers

I've never cruised between the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday season and I'm curious if that is a very popular time to cruise. Do prices generally go up at that time, or down if there are empty staterooms. I am considering a transatlantic during that timeframe in 2008 and wonder if I should book one that I like in order to lock in a price and stateroom. Is there a trend?

Thanks for the advice.

Go ahead and book it and you can always go with the lower price if the price drops up until the final payment is due. I have actually found that this year the price has gone up and not down. If you are using a TA just ask them if they will be willing to do this for you (some TAs say they can't or won't which isn't true). If you book with Celebrity directly they will not have a problem.

for the first couple of weeks of December of some of the lowest of the entire year. They may be up right now because of fuel prices impacting everything.

It's also a slow time of year so that you'll not be as crowded in the ports.

I've never cruised between the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday season and I'm curious if that is a very popular time to cruise. Do prices generally go up at that time, or down if there are empty staterooms. I am considering a transatlantic during that timeframe in 2008 and wonder if I should book one that I like in order to lock in a price and stateroom. Is there a trend?

Thanks for the advice.

We have taken two cruises during the middle of December, before Christmas.

The first time was on the Millennium where the price for our concierge class cabin went down after we booked it. When I brought the situation to my TA's attention, she contacted Celebrity and arranged to have our fare amended to the lower price.

The second time was in a sky suite on Century. That category sold out very quickly and our friends who booked the same type of cabin a few months later paid substantially more than we did. At the same time, the prices for inside cabins, as well as oceanview ones, on the same cruise went down because they were not selling as well. That was when you had too book a suite on Century to get a balcony, so the supply/demand situation for suites was very different than it was for their other cabins.

In my opinion, our Mid December cruises were good values because they provided a welcome escape from the frigid temperatures of the Northeast and the weather in the Caribbean was essentially the same as it was a week later when prices were significantly higher for the Christmas cruises.

On the other hand, its low prices attracted a lot of elderly people who lived within driving distance of the port, so the ship was very quiet during the evening.

Thanks for the advice.

We booked the Summit to Hawaii 9/21/07 last January--the cabin was expensive compared to other Celebrity trips we have taken and it has increased by 1/3 snce we booked.

Archived