zoom binoculars

dhmom99

Saw a post of 20x-140x40 binoculars for sale on my local craiglist. The price seems to be very cheap. I am very tempting to get on it. I remember several posts on this board advising against zoom binoculars, but cannot find them any more. Can someone offer some suggestion of its pros and cons of zoom binoculars? Is it useful with 140x magnification in Alaska? thanks

140X! ! ! WOW! I don't think I've ever seen binoculars that powerful. I would think the biggest problem you'd have is holding them steady enough to see thru them. Another problem I've found with variable powered binoculars unless they were very expensive, was trying to get them properly focused. I have a pair that go up to 20X that I paid just under $100 for and I end up with a headache everytime I use them because of the focus issue. I'm much happier with my fixed power 10X.

don't waste your money on the zoom binoculars. Like OldNavy said, the only good ones are very expensive. Leupold goldrings are fair decent. They actually don't zoom, intead, they drop in one extra glass with a switch lever to make the binoculars dual-power. Eveything else (zoom binocular) I have tested so far is just nothing more than a marketing gimmick to mask their inferior quality.

When shop for binoculars, one thing to keep in mind is the exit pupil size. It is defined by the objective lens diameter in mm divided by magnification power. I would strongly recommend a binocular with exit pupil of 4mm. For example, 10x42 has an exit pupil of 4.2mm and 8x42 has an exit pupil of 5.3mm. This way, the field of view is bright and offer much more relaxed view. With 140x power, you have a exit pupil of 0.3mm. I don't think any one can see anything with that much power. Another drawback of too much power is the short eye relief. The higher the power, the shorter the eye relief distance. With 140x, you will have to push your eyes against the glass to see the other end of glass. :)

Thanks a lot for the great suggestion. I recently bought a pair of Zen-Ray VISTA 10x42 that comes with a free lens cleaning pen (a very nice gadget, by the way). I absolutely love the 10x42. It is very bright and accomodates my eyeglasses very well. I originally thought an 140x binocular might help seeing things closer. Never realized that I could not hold it steady. Dave, thanks for pointing out the brightness issue. Well, looks like the 10x is all we needed now. I am thinking of getting another pair for DH this coming Christmas.

If they are cheap there is usually a good reason. We purchase a monoscope

which in only for one eye. I have better luck with it. My son who is

depth issues can not use binocular of any type with luck. So the monos work

well for him. We purchase them a Dicks sporting goods and I think we paid

like 39 or 59. Which is a 10 X 40 or 10 X 50.

We also purchase a spotting scope. I paid about 100 for it. But carries on

a small case about 12" X 2 " X 5". It has a tripod mount, so we keep it on the

balcony on the tripod to watch for whales, etc.

• 7 months later...

I had bought a pair of zoom binoculoars (90x, I think) before I read this forum to educate myself. I cannot see a thing. There was so much tremor from my handshaking that makes me feel getting my AARP card was century ago. I would have never bought that pair if I know better.

Archived